• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carbon Bolts

swamp_possum

Through my work I have access to a lot of 11mm carbon fiber rods. I understand that is bigger than the 3/8in rods (9.5mm) most are using. I am looking at the trehopper mini but would there any way that I could change out the drill bit for a larger one to accommodate an 11mm rod? Does anyone see any glaring problem with this idea?

1/2" bit might leave a little too much wobble but maybe not. I think there are some 1/2" bits floating around

1/2" bit might leave a little too much wobble but maybe not. I think there are some 1/2" bits floating around

So you’re saying the tree hopper drill will take a larger bit than the standard size that comes with it? As long as I’m drilling to the same depth as that standard bit could I just swap it out with any ole hardware store bit?

Last edited:
So you’re saying the tree hopper drill will take a larger bit than the standard size that comes with it? As long as I’m drilling to the same depth as that standard bit could I just swap it out with any ole hardware store bit?
It’s a little more complicated than that. You would have to find a bit that will drill the proper sized hole. Then machine the lower portion of the bit to fit the handle. You would also want to machine a sleeve to bottom out on as the original would probably be to small. Auger bits are much better than your standard drill bits.

It’s a little more complicated than that. You would have to find a bit that will drill the proper sized hole. Then machine the lower portion of the bit to fit the handle. You would also want to machine a sleeve to bottom out on as the original would probably be to small. Auger bits are much better than your standard drill bits.

Gotcha. After some research I guess my main question here was how much work would I have to do to get a stock treehopper hand drill to accommodate a 29/64” (or similarly sized) auger bit. By the sound of it that could take some work.

However I do like the idea of having an extra 1.5mm of rod diameter for added strength. So it may be worth playing around with. The rods are free to me so I guess I have around $100 to play with before it would be more cost effective to just buy the 3/8” carbon bolts.

Gotcha. After some research I guess my main question here was how much work would I have to do to get a stock treehopper hand drill to accommodate a 29/64” (or similarly sized) auger bit. By the sound of it that could take some work.

However I do like the idea of having an extra 1.5mm of rod diameter for added strength. So it may be worth playing around with. The rods are free to me so I guess I have around $100 to play with before it would be more cost effective to just buy the 3/8” carbon bolts.

What kind of carbon rods?

That definitely matters. It’s possible they are weaker than the 3/8 people are using.
The ones I have are medical grade and used in surgery. I would imagine they are just as strong or stronger than what you could buy online.

The ones I have are medical grade and used in surgery. I would imagine they are just as strong or stronger than what you could buy online.

I would not use your imagination here - there are several different kinds of graphite and carbon rods available. Medical grade doesn’t make it stronger. It means it’s clean, and passes some manufacturing standards that have little to do with how strong it is.

My advice would be to spend a little effort to get the technical specs on the exact rods you’re using.

Through my work I have access to a lot of 11mm carbon fiber rods. I understand that is bigger than the 3/8in rods (9.5mm) most are using. I am looking at the trehopper mini but would there any way that I could change out the drill bit for a larger one to accommodate an 11mm rod? Does anyone see any glaring problem with this idea?
I don't see how it would fold. The seat area of the mini is just a curly hair wider than the bit.

I would not use your imagination here - there are several different kinds of graphite and carbon rods available. Medical grade doesn’t make it stronger. It means it’s clean, and passes some manufacturing standards that have little to do with how strong it is.

My advice would be to spend a little effort to get the technical specs on the exact rods you’re using.
This^^^

Of course, that is something that I am looking into. For reference, do you have any idea the specs on carbon rods commonly used here?

Of course, that is something that I am looking into. For reference, do you have any idea the specs on carbon rods commonly used here?
Theres a whole plethora of specs, safety factors and documented fails. The search function here is quit good and should lead you to them with minimal effort.

This thread is long and kinda drama-packed, but there's some really good information buried in there.

https://saddlehunter.com/community/...-the-month-is-dangerous-change-my-mind.13396/

Carbon fiber isn't for everyone.
I can see that. I took a couple months off from the forum after deer season ended so I had no idea the length that had been discussed already. Should have searched harder.

I am waiting to hear from an engineer at my company to get me the bending strength of these rods. Still up in the air on if I use these or not.

I can see that. I took a couple months off from the forum after deer season ended so I had no idea the length that had been discussed already. Should have searched harder.

I am waiting to hear from an engineer at my company to get me the bending strength of these rods. Still up in the air on if I use these or not.

They do not bend. They just snap. If they just bent they would warn you of failure.
I use them on my lowest holes only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They do not bend. They just snap. If they just bent they would warn you of failure.
I use them on my lowest holes only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Exactly. ! As noted in the thread @Nutterbuster pointed you(the OP) to, you're looking for shear strength. And this is greatly changed based upon where the pressure from your foot is on the rod, the depth of the hole, the angle of the hole, etc. Know the whole picture before you thin about using them. Know your sytem and your system weight and stick to it. Dont decide to carry your pack and bow up in one shot one day cause you're late to you spot when you've only tested and calculated for body weight.

Also as you mentioned finding a bit that will work well is important. If the hole is oversized too much you only get support on two small spots. Even the species of tree changes things. I stood on a carbon bolt at 298 pounds at saddlepalooza. It didn’t break. I’m still not comfortable climbing on them. For those that are I think the are great. So light and compact. I chose the middle ground and ordered titanium rod. I haven’t used them much but feel better about them and confidence is important. I’m also just rough on gear. Unlike @Vtbow I buy new camo every couple years because what I was using is falling apart or no longer fits.

Back