• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carbon fiber API stick mod

Rangermatthews

Vendor Rep
A 100 mph slap shot generates 22.3 KN of force so hockey sticks are designed to take force better that other carbon fiber climbing stick alternatives. For the most part you can get broken ones for free but they are rectangular in shape. They are however the perfect size to fit inside aluminum square tubing. The aluminum is cut in a U shape and fits on the outside of the carbon and provides strength and a mounting point for a double step. Hockey sticks also have wooden plugs designed to be used as extensions so I put wooden plugs in the areas were a 1/4” grade 8 bolt is used. Plan is to use amsteel rope but the current weight is 28 oz but with DanO’s ultralight double step you can get it down to 22 oz. Worst case if you use all the API components you are still under 2 lbs, not bad for $100. So far they are rock solid but I plan to hunt with them 4 days this weekend.6B0D6859-CF77-404A-AE1C-3FCC3BF9C8C2.jpeg4A344D4C-6219-4B16-B38D-4701DCF4A227.jpeg94F7FD52-E086-4C94-AC18-4B6F09DA2AA1.jpeg28ECF37F-3B4D-4136-9CC1-0F2334A9BE80.jpegB7F591A5-2998-4920-9B43-93BBA6718CD6.jpeg

Keep us posted! I actually collected some carbon fiber sticks from goodwills over the summer to attempt a project like this and just havent gotten to it yet!

DanO sells ultra light steps and stand offs. There is potential to shave a few more ounces off the total weight.
I think his stand offs are way better but weigh a little more. His double steps would bring it down to 22 oz. My thought was to see if I could keep the cost down to what the API sticks cost. Not that it matters cause I spend way too much money on all kinds of crap! Gets me off the couch at least

Could you find some aluminum rectangular tubing to completely shroud the carbon rather than the U-channel style? Use golf club 24hr shafting epoxy and .004 glass beads as filler and you shouldn't need the wood plug.

Were you able to run these on a few hunts?
They worked and everything stayed solid but there was some flex to the stick. Makes sense because it’s in the direction the hockey stick is designed to flex but was more noticeable than I thought it would be because they are only 24” long. Definitely needs more ground level testing and I was only using it for my bottom stick. Beast sticks are looking more and more like the way to go.

Back