• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carbon Rods

Jtaylor

SH Member
So I had a carbon rod crack on me today. For a little background: I don't bounce on my steps up or down, they have been taken good care of and I've never left them in a tree for any length of time and the cut ends are sealed on both ends with poly. The holes were drilled to the proper depth and rods were seated. They are the pultruded, 3/8" diameter 6" long variety and I weigh about 225lbs.

Now the situation: I was really close to the ground using a couple carbon rods near the base of a big tree before my rope was long enough to get around the tree for my stick. I hunted, got done and on the way back down I stepped onto one of the carbon rods. I heard a loud noise like a Black Cat firework going off and assumed it was the rod that fractured. Made my butt pucker but no other harm done.

Lesson learned: There are obviously associated risks with using these things. I was aware of the associated risks and was ready if/when a failure occurred. I have used these as my exclusive climbing method but probably won't anymore. I like that they are lightweight and easy to pack and hoped they would work out for me.
It wasn't a catastrophic failure but there is a definite fracture along most of the length of the rod. I understand being 225 lbs. is probably pushing the safe limits of these things but who knows? Be careful, just thought I would share for those of you using them.

Attachments

• carbon rod crack.jpeg
    carbon rod crack.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 85
  • carbon rod crack 2.jpg
    carbon rod crack 2.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Glad you're okay and thanks for sharing for other carbon users. I weigh about the same I'll stick with my grade 8 bolts. Plus with that small of a package I don't know if the weight savings are worth the risk. Not sure what the weight difference is but piece of mind is worth the extra weight to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

So I had a carbon rod crack on me today. For a little background: I don't bounce on my steps up or down, they have been taken good care of and I've never left them in a tree for any length of time and the cut ends are sealed on both ends with poly. The holes were drilled to the proper depth and rods were seated. They are the pultruded, 3/8" diameter 6" long variety and I weigh about 225lbs.

Now the situation: I was really close to the ground using a couple carbon rods near the base of a big tree before my rope was long enough to get around the tree for my stick. I hunted, got done and on the way back down I stepped onto one of the carbon rods. I heard a loud noise like a Black Cat firework going off and assumed it was the rod that fractured. Made my butt pucker but no other harm done.

Lesson learned: There are obviously associated risks with using these things. I was aware of the associated risks and was ready if/when a failure occurred. I have used these as my exclusive climbing method but probably won't anymore. I like that they are lightweight and easy to pack and hoped they would work out for me.
It wasn't a catastrophic failure but there is a definite fracture along most of the length of the rod. I understand being 225 lbs. is probably pushing the safe limits of these things but who knows? Be careful, just thought I would share for those of you using them.
Thanks for sharing your story and I am glad I found this info! I appreciate it! Safe Hunting and thanks again.

I weighed 15 of my carbon bolts (with shrink wrap) and 15 of my grade 8 bolts with the same wrap... there’s only a 2lb 2oz difference between the two setups.....

I am a very small guy at 5’7” 150lbs, and I figure I am at the TOP end of the weight that’s safe for diligent use for these carbon bolts. Add my 150, up to 10lbs of clothes and boots for winter, and probably another 15-20 lbs for backpack/ bow/ saddle/ ropes/ water/ snacks/ etc... I am probably pushing 190-200lbs actual weight on the bolts.

For a 2lb difference in weight, and almost zero difference in bulk, I think the Grade 8’s are the best solution for the bolt system.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

Back