• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carrying sticks with no pack

NWPA22

I am planning on carrying 4 sticks and I will use a ROS not a platform. Does anybody have ideas for how to cinch them down and pack them in that doesn't involve a backpack. I thought I saw a video once, maybe DiySportsman on youtube, where he tied paracord around the standoff on each stick. That doubled as his method to carry them up the tree with a carabiner in his MOLLE webbing, and then he had a strap that he could pack them in over his shoulder. Has anyone tried anything like this?

Strapworks makes a piece of gear called a 'Universal Carry Strap' that is a shoulder strap with two adjustable end loops with quick connect buckles. Basically you just loop the straps around all your gear, cinch it up really tight, and then sling it over your shoulder.

I have done it many times and would recommend that wider straps versus the narrower ones. They will chafe and dig less into your shoulder/neck.

This works well if you are not going too far but is far less comfortable versus hauling in using a pack.

Actually I made a video about this very thing a while back:

Strapworks makes a piece of gear called a 'Universal Carry Strap' that is a shoulder strap with two adjustable end loops with quick connect buckles. Basically you just loop the straps around all your gear, cinch it up really tight, and then sling it over your shoulder.

I have done it many times and would recommend that wider straps versus the narrower ones. They will chafe and dig less into your shoulder/neck.

This works well if you are not going too far but is far less comfortable versus hauling in using a pack.

This strap is the best option I was able to find as well.

I carried 5 beast Sticks with the universal carry strap all last year and it worked fine. As stated above get the wide strap.

If you use a step aider, keep it attached, then when you stack all your sticks and lock them together, then take the loose end of the aider and put it over the other end of the steps...built in sling...

this is what I use to carry my stock Lone wolf climbing sticks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190531-104755_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190531-104755_Chrome.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 173
I’ve been using LW sticks for years, I typically just carry them in my hand. Occasionally I’ll lash them to my pack on a long hike, or if I need a hand free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes they are strapped vertically, to my pack. Sometimes they are strapped vertically to my stand. Sometimes I carry them horizontally in a LW sling, slung over my shoulder. It all depends on my set up.

I avoid sticks as much as I can but when I do have to carry them, I bundle them with shock cord that is permanently attached to each standoffs of one of the 3 (LW) sticks. I carry them with a LW strap that is attached to the bottom of 1 stick. The other end of that strap just loops over the other end of the stick. When employing that strap the way I do, it does double-duty. Not only is is a carry method, it also becomes an aider strap. That stick is always the bottom step on the tree. I know lots of guys use aiders on every stick, but I never really liked it once I get above that bottom stick. Having an aider at ground level is less awkward and it still gains me almost 2 feet.

I'm not a fan of carrying them in my hand. They are cold on the hands in frigid weather, and I need that hand free to use pruners (you should try it sometime Nutter, lol),. Lots of other reasons to not want to occupy that hand carrying something than should be on a strap or in a pack. Compass/gps use, flashlight use, ventilate clothing, place a tack, wipe a booger, reach for the handgun, etc, etc. I ain't carrying sticks in my hand unless it's a very short walk.

Last edited:
This is how I will carry mine!
f0787a6ad8f968d163e305fbfe098181.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks man,
I’ve been using a pack but always hated it hanging in the tree with me. This solved that issue.

I refuse to carry anything in my hands besides my weapon. A backpack with drop holder for bow/gun works well for carrying cut down sticks. That or a backpack with "wings" that allow you to cradle the sticks and strap together.

Clip your pack to your top stick or under your platform
That’s a good idea , I ordered the universal carry strap. If it works out I may not need a pack anymore. I just used one for my sticks and ros. Thanks for the reply, always trying to streamline things.

If you use a step aider, keep it attached, then when you stack all your sticks and lock them together, then take the loose end of the aider and put it over the other end of the steps...built in sling...
I do this with my Swaider when I carry my sticks. Sometimes I'd rather carry my sticks and attach my bow to the pack.

Back