• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carrying while saddle hunting

DS Public

Anyone carry a handgun while saddle hunting? What type of holster do you recommend for comfort in respect to the saddle and ease of use/access? I just bought a handgun for personal protection in the woods as I opt to hunt alone, but not sure the best way to carry it yet... thinking maybe a drop leg holster would be best so it would rest on my upper leg but below the saddle. Thoughts?

That might be pretty slick. I carry a subcompact glock 27. I put holster on backpack waist belt and then put in back pack while I hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenai chest holster. Or a kenai chest holster. ;)
This is what I am buying soon. Currently I have a cheap nylon with a retention strap and it stays on my backpack waist belt. When it's in the tree it is easy to get to. I tried the thigh holster but it seems to get in the way and catches on brush. Not to mention if you put your harness on when you get to the stand you have to unstrap the leg restraints and mine are velcro so there's the added noise from that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am having a hard time with his myself. In Ohio your handgun has to be concealed so the holster Nutterbuster recommended won’t work. I carry OWB on the strong side with untucked shirt daily. I find IWB uncomfortable. I got a Sneaky Pete holster with belt clips and it will work using the molle loops on the Kestrel but it’s a monster. I have been reduced to carrying a SW Airweight in a pocket but it’s better than nothing.

Appendix in a Dale Fricke Archangel, G 19 with 147g loads. I carry appendix all the time, every day so I'm used to it, but I could see it bothering some folks if they don't normally carry that way.

In Arkansas, you can not open carry while archery hunting. Does anyone actually follow those rules? What a joke

For those who use the chest holster style... You can draw your bow and shoot without compromising your form? This was my concern, and why I figure I'd start my search looking into a drop holster.

In Arkansas, you can not open carry while archery hunting. Does anyone actually follow those rules? What a joke

Kentucky I believe you can only carry with a ccwd license. But it can be open or concealed. I should probably know it but my opinion on it is if it's only used for self defense on both 2 legged or 4 legged predators what's it matter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not allowed to carry a firearm while bowhunting here... so I carry a G23 tucked iwb behind strong side hip. Not a holster, just a kydex cover that snaps over the trigger made by glock with a small cord looped around belt. Hardly notice it's there.

Not allowed to carry a firearm while bowhunting here... so I carry a G23 tucked iwb behind strong side hip. Not a holster, just a kydex cover that snaps over the trigger made by glock with a small cord looped around belt. Hardly notice it's there.

I have one of those for my G26. I keep that one in the console of my truck

I have a safariland receiver setup on my waistbelt. I can clip my holster on and off. Also have a receiver in my truck, on a paddle, etc. So, I carry a Glock 30s that I can move and carry in my truck, on my pack, on my person, and mount at home.

Not for everyone but I prefer appendix carry for comfort and accessibility, that said I live in a anti gun state (MD) that does not allow concealed carry so I am limited to a few weeks a year when we goto TN and have not carried while hunting but would imagine I'd be just as comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It depends on which pack I'm using. If I'm going deep and planning to pack out, I carry on the waist belt of my pack. If I'm carrying my smaller pack and planning to drag, I use a thigh rig (drop holster). I want a Kenai chest holster as well for rifle season.

So New Jersey is really the armpit of the country. Haha be safe good luck

Back