• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Carrying Wild Edge Steps

backstrap19

OK, I love wild edge steps. I carry 4 with me every hunt. They go on the tree quickly, quietly, and they make a good home base for my ring of steps. However, I am looking for a better way to carry them with me. I don't like the bag they come in, nor do I need it for climbing. Molle J Hooks from @DanO do the job getting them up the tree with me. I'm looking for ideas to carry them in/on my bag while walking. I'm not a fan of tossing them into my pack, because they are sharp, and can dig and tear my bag's interior. I struggle to strap them to the outside of my bag because I carry my bow on my pack when I walk. I like to walk in hands free. I know I could carry my bow, but quite honestly, I don't want to. HAHA. Once I tested the hands free waters, I didn't want to go back. Currently, I have a kydex box that I made to hold them, and I stash them inside the box and then toss the box in my bag. It works. There is nothing wrong with it. But being a true saddle hunter, I'm not content with it. I must fiddle, I must tinker, I must improve something that doesn't need improved. So, wild edge guys, How are you carrying your steps into and out of the woods? I want to carry them in or on my pack. Thanks!

My steps are contained by a “Gripr” from genesis 3D printing, and then strap nicely to the bottom of my current bag (https://www.amazon.com/SOG-Opord-Tactical-39-1-Liter-Storage/dp/B01346K5JM?th=1).
64a3b005e7cf35ff809d8aacd154d7a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My steps are contained by a “Gripr” from genesis 3D printing, and then strap nicely to the bottom of my current bag (https://www.amazon.com/SOG-Opord-Tactical-39-1-Liter-Storage/dp/B01346K5JM?th=1).
64a3b005e7cf35ff809d8aacd154d7a6.jpg

I actually own the Opord! I carried hawk heliums on the lower bedroll straps, and my bow horizontally in the pouch where you have your platform. I'd still be using it, but the horizontal bow got annoying in brush and thick vegetation. Your system looks streamlined though!

Live the Gripr so far too. How do you manage rope? I’m using a nite-ize tie and it works but feels like there’s probably better option?

I daisy chain the ropes and then the straps of my bag hold them in place.

I use a kydex holster, s fold the ropes and the whole thing goes into the pack upside down with the pointy parts facing out. No problem with damage to my pack. I used to put them back in the bag to put in my pack but found that without the bag no damage was being done to the pack so now no bag.

I am using a bag that has several mesh pockets on the interior. The steps kind of tear the mesh up. I could see in another pack that you could maybe get away with that. That could bring me to the discussion about the search for the perfect saddle hunting pack, but there is a whole thread on that topic.....

I use a kydex holster, s fold the ropes and the whole thing goes into the pack upside down with the pointy parts facing out. No problem with damage to my pack. I used to put them back in the bag to put in my pack but found that without the bag no damage was being done to the pack so now no bag.
Where’d you get the kydex holster?

OK, I love wild edge steps. I carry 4 with me every hunt. They go on the tree quickly, quietly, and they make a good home base for my ring of steps. However, I am looking for a better way to carry them with me. I don't like the bag they come in, nor do I need it for climbing. Molle J Hooks from @DanO do the job getting them up the tree with me. I'm looking for ideas to carry them in/on my bag while walking. I'm not a fan of tossing them into my pack, because they are sharp, and can dig and tear my bag's interior. I struggle to strap them to the outside of my bag because I carry my bow on my pack when I walk. I like to walk in hands free. I know I could carry my bow, but quite honestly, I don't want to. HAHA. Once I tested the hands free waters, I didn't want to go back. Currently, I have a kydex box that I made to hold them, and I stash them inside the box and then toss the box in my bag. It works. There is nothing wrong with it. But being a true saddle hunter, I'm not content with it. I must fiddle, I must tinker, I must improve something that doesn't need improved. So, wild edge guys, How are you carrying your steps into and out of the woods? I want to carry them in or on my pack. Thanks!

Attachments

• 876EFEAE-DA0C-43B0-8F82-95E30263B21A.jpeg
    876EFEAE-DA0C-43B0-8F82-95E30263B21A.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 61
I made an open bottom bag that is leather lined, the bag fits perfectly in my pack until I get to the tree. Then I pull out the bag for the climb up

Back