• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cast aluminum post on DIY platforms

hickstick

I've seen a few DIY platforms here that have cast aluminum posts rather then square tubing. where did y'all get them, I can't seem to find any threads searching the forums

I know one of the founders of Tethred (Ernie) was making them for a few years back and selling them here. You may find an old one through the classifieds. My personal opinion, there is marginal benefit over aluminum tube. I don't know why the tube gets a bad rap, I guess the noise factor? I'm not out there playing it like a musical instrument, you just wrap it in some tape and be careful not to bang things around.

I know one of the founders of Tethred (Ernie) was making them for a few years back and selling them here. You may find an old one through the classifieds. My personal opinion, there is marginal benefit over aluminum tube. I don't know why the tube gets a bad rap, I guess the noise factor? I'm not out there playing it like a musical instrument, you just wrap it in some tape and be careful not to bang things around.

I'm not having a noise issue with my tube post, just think a cast one would be stronger. I worry about deformation of the 'thin' walled aluminum where the bolt holes are drilled as well as where the leveler contacts.

Back