• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cedar trees

Archer19422

Has anyone tried to one stick and saddle hunt from a cedar tree, if so how hard was it climbing.

That's about all I hunt out of. Climb the branches while tied off in fall restraint and use the one stick when needed, trim a little hole to shoot through and you're set. You may have to trim a little rat hole to go through as you climb but usually they're small diameter branches. Sometimes it's easier to leave your gear at the base of the tree and pull it all up after you've reached your desired height to avoid snags.

Thank you for the information I will give it a try
Often I'll find branches are more comfortable to stand on than the platform on the one stick and just stand on them. You can even get lucky once and awhile and find opposing branches you rest your knees on (with knee pads of course).

Keep extra cordage on u and u throw it around the limbs in ur way and tie them back and outta the way.....I like hunting outta cedars to...most time consuming to set up in but u can really hide good low to the ground

Keep extra cordage on u and u throw it around the limbs in ur way and tie them back and outta the way.....I like hunting outta cedars to...most time consuming to set up in but u can really hide good low to the ground
I've done that before in gnarly pin oaks and red oaks.

Back