• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Center serving wear??

Andrew

What is everyone’s experience with center serving wear? Having mostly shot compound over many years, I have never had any issue with my center serving wearing out and breaking at the point where the nock attaches to the string. However, since switching to traditional equipment, I’ve had all my strings have there center serving break at the nocking point. I do shoot quite a bit. At least thirty arrows just about everyday, and can get about 3-4 months before the center serving breaks.

Is this common with traditional bows? How often should I expect to have to replace the center serving? I’m in the process of obtaining a serving jig so can get my strings back in shape. I’m sure once that arrives that will generate more questions. Thanks.

I’ll just let you know now that you can totally reserve a string and time frame depends on material used. You can serve from everything cheap nylon to really high and serving. I used to have a business building Flemish Strings. With that said you can get a quality string for under $30 that goes right onto your bow that has the silencers and the nocks. Because I can contact the manufacture of my bow and get a quality string for $20 I don’t tie anymore. I would buy two strings to start use one all season long but stretch the other in. I would start by stretching the string setting it up. Switching strings stretching it setting it up. Use the second string is your string all year long. Next season swap the one-year used string for the second string that you stretched but did not use. Buy one new string for $20 and stretch it in. Go back to the string that has not been used use it for a year and switch and order one new string a year spending $20. That is how I would do it

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. That’s kinda what I had decided I was gonna do. I’ve got another string on the way, as I needed a back up anyway. But I also plan on getting to the point I can reserve them.

My biggest concern was whether or not it was normal to wear through the the serving or if I need to change something about my set up. Never had this issue when shooting compound.

I've never had a problem with my serving wearing out that soon. I have bows with thousands of shots over several years and there is very little noticeable serving wear. Are they all the same type of strings that this is occurring on? I'm not sure what could be causing it.

I've never had a problem with my serving wearing out that soon. I have bows with thousands of shots over several years and there is very little noticeable serving wear. Are they all the same type of strings that this is occurring on? I'm not sure what could be causing it.
Probably a pluck, no? I know I've got a brand new string on my Sage and the serving is starting to get fuzzy.

I’ve had two different strings I’ve used so far. Mountain muffler and America’s best. Both lasted about the same amount of time. Roughly 4 months of pretty consistent shooting. Wears and eventually breaks right where the nock contacts the string.

I would say nock fit. Some nocks are made to fit a bit tighter and string diameter varies with the number of strands in the build. Add the serving material differences and some setups will wear faster than others. I'm seeing serving material separate / thin out on a string less than a few months old right now, and I have strings that are years older that show minimal wear at the nocking point.

Re-serving strings is no big deal. A spool of serving material and a string serving jig (optional) and you're in business.

Sean

I’m using Easton x nocks. Told both string makers what nocks I’d be using. The America’s best was built to 0.110 string thickness. Gonna try to attach a video showing how the nock fits. See if that gives y’all any help. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

These are my guesses also.
I may also mention that I’m using a single tied nocking point. Haven’t gotten around to tying one on the bottom yet since I’ve been adjusting my tune a bit. Not sure if that could cause it? I don’t see many people shooting single tied nock points. Thoughts?

I’m using Easton x nocks. Told both string makers what nocks I’d be using. The America’s best was built to 0.110 string thickness. Gonna try to attach a video showing how the nock fits. See if that gives y’all any help. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Doesn't look like they fit too tight. Is that the serving wear you can see in the video? Just to the right of the tied nock point.

Doesn't look like they fit too tight. Is that the serving wear you can see in the video? Just to the right of the tied nock point.
Yes that’s it. Thread sticking up is the broken serving.

I have never had the serving wear out and break. I have used nylon and Diamondback and it get fuzzy but I just wax it and roll with it. For the past few years I have been using FF serving with good results. I am not sure what would cause your serving to break.

What is everyone’s experience with center serving wear? Having mostly shot compound over many years, I have never had any issue with my center serving wearing out and breaking at the point where the nock attaches to the string. However, since switching to traditional equipment, I’ve had all my strings have there center serving break at the nocking point. I do shoot quite a bit. At least thirty arrows just about everyday, and can get about 3-4 months before the center serving breaks.

Is this common with traditional bows? How often should I expect to have to replace the center serving? I’m in the process of obtaining a serving jig so can get my strings back in shape. I’m sure once that arrives that will generate more questions. Thanks.
I hope the string I made you held up! Now I feel guilty.
Probably a pluck, no? I know I've got a brand new string on my Sage and the serving is starting to get fuzzy.
Umm, we need to talk.

How much force to push your nock on. Couldnt really tell from the video but it sounded like a pretty good click when it went on. Might pick a couple of nocks and sand the ears down a touch in the nock groove with some fine grit paper. Adjust them to where they take less pressure to engage but still stay on the string securely. Never had that issue but that is the only thing that makes any sense to me at all.

Back