• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Central PA - Im sure youve seen me on other forums

jlh42581

Nov 30, 2014
PA
tinyurl.com
Name is Jeremy, I live in central pa just south of Philipsburg, work in State College. Professionally an ASE(advanced support engineer), basically my job is a culmination of my career, I deal with everything from custom web code in javascript/jquery to databases, server management, active directory and ldap... its all the IT tech fields wrapped into one. I have a very large background in educational IT and precision agriculture. 3.5 year old son, live on 2 acres(nothing to hunt), president of the local QDMA, will turn 34 this spring.

Ive always sought information in regards to whitetail, this last season was my 16th year with a bow, I mainly hunt solo. Im big on the "beast style" of hunting, I was doing it before that phrase was ever something I recognized, i just called it pushing limits and hunting bedding areas. A monster buck killer I am not, Ive had my fair share of blown opportunities. Just moved to my new house so I am starting all over. Id say 99% of my hunting is public land, do travel out of state, I will have enough points to draw southern iowa next year, might hold out another year depending on finances, kids are expensive but it will be fully DIY unguided.

The saddle topic isnt new to me, owning one is. Ive tried virtually every other option that can be had and the main thing drawing me to a saddle was weight. I just purchased an Aero Evolution, was going to try a saddle but second hand prices for them are absurd. Ive had top paws ordered for a couple weeks now, just waiting for them to come. I get up the tree with 4 muddy sticks. I still use hangons as well but a climber is something I simply cant stand. It feels awkward and inefficient. Ive had multiple summits and two lone wolfs. Id sell one for packability and get comfort then rotate back around. Recently I traded for a lone wolf hand climber, used it one hunt and sold it to a buddy. My fav if I was gonna use one by far would be the lone wolf for packability or the summit for comfort but like I said, thats not something I can get with anymore.

Ive got 25,000 acres of state game lands less than 2 miles from my house, not counting the state forests. I cant believe it took me this long to get into this system as I read Johns books probably 6-8 years ago. I even at one time owned the trophyline harness.

In the famous words of most who film whitetails(which I think is also goofy) ... stick around, we'll see what happens :roll:

Jeremy

sojourner

SH Member
Oct 14, 2014
Fellow PA born son. Live eastern PA. A few minutes from the NJ border. Undergrad degree at PSU. Fellow nerd. (C++, C, Objecfive-C, C-Sharp, JavaScript (squiggly bracket languages)). Just got assigned an Angular project (fun stuff)!

I use a Guidos Web, Lone Wolf Alpha II and sticks, and a Treewalker climber. The GW and LW are way more flexible and have been getting much more miles these last few years for me.

I will be heading out win the alpha tomorrow and the GW Tuesday. NJ muzzleloader. Good luck if you head out PA firearms opener tomorrow.

jlh42581

Nov 30, 2014
PA
tinyurl.com
Nice, mom retired from psu. I've held a few positions there myself. The company I work for is in innovation park. I can see the stadium. I drive 45 mins to get to work and only hit one light. :mrgreen:

redsquirrel

Administrator
Staff member
SH Member
Feb 19, 2014
NJ
WEBSITE
saddlehunter.com
Welcome to the site Jeremy! I'm on the east coast too over in NJ.

IMO saddle hunting fits perfectly into the "beast style" of hunting. There is nothing more mobile than hunting out of a saddle. You made a good choice going with the Evolution. If you need any help working through the growing pains we are here for you. Make sure you get comfortable at ground level with some practice first. Once you move on to hunting with it, it will probably take you multiple sits to get comfortable (maybe 5-10), and even more sits to fully develop your own system. Stick with it and you will never want to go back to a tree stand. Most people who try saddles and don't like them never gave them enough time to get used to it. Good luck!