• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Challenger for the hickory creek mini

Jimmyfunk60

Ran across this on Facebook interesting design super heavy 13.5 pounds I think they said fully loaded. Might be the new direction of the crossbow tho. There are some videos on YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ran across this on Facebook interesting design super heavy 13.5 pounds I think they said fully loaded. Might be the new direction of the crossbow tho. There are some videos on YouTube

IMO, that won’t take off for mobile hunters. I saw the YouTube from the always happy and laughing European guy. It takes forever and a day to recock. And the super heavy weight makes it a non-starter for me and other mobile hunters.

I do admit, no limbs sticking out either horizontally or vertically is nice, but in this case the juice ain’t worth the squeeze.

IMO, that won’t take off for mobile hunters. I saw the YouTube from the always happy and laughing European guy. It takes forever and a day to recock. And the super heavy weight makes it a non-starter for me and other mobile hunters.

I do admit, no limbs sticking out either horizontally or vertically is nice, but in this case the juice ain’t worth the squeeze.

I agree 100% snooping around on their website and there was a write up like “ want to see this technology from your favorite bow company? Let them know we are open to licensing.”

I assume this will take off eventually

I just saw this too and although the tech. is awesome, I think you would be totally defeating the SH purpose to begin with.

I don't care how light ANY Xbow on the market is.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Well I hope you shoulders remain healthy or you may change your mind. Then you will want a mini. In the mean time keep hating crossbows. If my shoulders were good I might hate them too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Well I hope you shoulders remain healthy or you may change your mind. Then you will want a mini. In the mean time keep hating crossbows

Just my opinion for my own thoughts on what I want for myself in bowhunting...
X bows arent for me and they will never be for me.
When that inevitable day comes that I can no longer ethically draw and shoot my recurve, then that is the day I step aside for bow season. Its just the standard and limitation I place upon myself.
I still like venison and intend to stock my freezer, but it will have to be done so with a gun...it will be just business.
I'm a bowhunter. I have no intention of redefining my weapon and calling it a bow.
I get it..."If its legal" and all that. If xbows are legal then live it up.
Not for me. Its the standard that I choose to place upon myself.

When that inevitable day comes that I can no longer ethically draw and shoot my recurve, then that is the day I step aside for bow season. Its just the standard and limitation I place upon myself.
I still like venison and intend to stock my freezer, but it will have to be done so with a gun...it will be just business.
I'm a bowhunter. I have no intention of redefining my weapon and calling it a bow.

I get this. I had the same opinion for a long time. The 2020 season is the first year for legal xbows in VT. I'm a meat hunter, every deer in shoot is a trophy to me and my family. I have 2 young kids, and my time available to hunt has gone down, couple that with a pretty darn low legal deer population in the state of VT, a no spike rule, and a 1 buck a year rule, the odds are stacked against me. I done very thing I can to put myself in the best possible situation To tag out. I have hunted with a recurve the last 3 years now. I just bought an xbow. Ok with it, we like venison. When our freezer is stocked we save a significant amount of money as we don't buy commercial meat ever...times will change for me again I'm sure.

Crossbows have been around for 1400 years. Just another type of bow.

Old hockey players like crossbows.

Last edited:

I have sort of always felt this way too. I've never had any issues with anyone who wants to use a crossbow, or any other legal method, to take a deer but I was one who always said vertical bow or nothing. Then, two years ago I aggravated an old shoulder injury in the middle of bow season. I was drawing on a yote in an awkward position and my shoulder popped during the draw (on a side note, I killed the yote anyway). I spent the rest of the season hunting and hoping adrenaline would get me through a draw sequence if I needed it. It was into April before I could draw my bow normally again.

During that time I came to terms with the fact that age and a mis-spent youth are catching up on me and if I want to continue hunting I will need to eventually make the step. I value my time in the woods hunting too much and while its not completely about the kill anymore it still is about hunting. I haven't made the leap to a crossbow yet but I no longer say never . . .

Back