• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Changing some knots

schmick

Hi everybody!
I am new here and use a aero hunter evolution saddle since a few months back. As I made some changes to the knots, I would love to share it with you guys.
First, I was rotating the black steel thingies which are holding the rope bridge. When looking at the small white arrows indicating the direction of force, it seemed to me that they had to be connected differently. The result was a slightly increase in comfort.
Also, I replaced the knot with a figure of 8 on a bight on the left side of the bridge, which seemed more save.

On the right side of the bridge, I had to use the same hole for the accessory cord and the rope bridge. This was not a problem though.

Last but not least, I replaced the knot on the tree sling with another figure of 8 on a bight and connected it back to the carabine, which gave me a bit more piece of mind when hanging up there.

Do you see any problem rotating the black metal thingies?

Cheers!

Attachments

• saddle1.jpg
    saddle1.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 543
  • saddle2.jpg
    saddle2.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 544
  • saddle3.jpg
    saddle3.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 544
Welcome to the site!

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I will take mine out after work tomorrow and take a look at what you did. I would also be interested to hear if New Tribe has any comments on the changes.

So what are you hanging on your caribiners on the green strap? Is this your first saddle?

The carabines on the green strap are used mainly for backpack and bow.
I was considering having the binos and rangefinder there as well, but they rest securely in the backpack.

The bow has simply a sling of parashoot rope, which I use to hang the bow either at home at the wall or at one of the (modified) carabines. Unfortunatelly that modified carabine is not visible in the photo. Its simply one that stays open to easily get in and out with the parashoot sling.

One might wonder what the backpack is for. I use an Eberlestock MiniMe, which keeps the small stuff that is needed when taking care of a shot animal, Energy Bar, Water, Beany Cap, wind checker, flashlight ... When I am hunting with the rifle, I can put the rifle there as well and still hunt from the saddle.
This means I can climb up the tree with the rifle on my back and hang the pack with rifle on the carabines. The bow is getting into the tree by using some parashoot cord.

I had ideas about using a saddle years ago, but never got to the point where I actually bought one. I don't know the reasons.
This year I was carrying my treestand into the woods and immediately discovered the problem. It was heavy and nearly impossible to get through dense growing bush - which I had to go through to my "secret" deer hunting location. This is where the saddle came in. Bought one, tried it, even stayed over night and used it on the hunting trip. Sold my Treestand, kept the climbing sticks. Now I try to improve the technique with your help. :D

Sounds great! Glad to have you on the site and I hope we can help! I look forward to seeing some success photos of some roe deer! Where in Europe are you hunting?

I live in Sweden, but for Bowhunting we have to go to Danmark or a small island called Åland which is relatively close to where I live, as bowhunting has not been legalized in Sweden, yet. There are some folks working on this, though. Other alternatives are France, Finland and Spain or Portugal.
My bowhunting season comes mostely down to one week per year Åland or Danmark.
I think the treesaddle will give great opportunities when I am hunting with the rifle in those areas that are hard to get to and hunting from the ground is not an option.

Very cool! Glad to have you as a member here! I look forward to learning new things about where you hunt :cool:

Welcome Schmick! Here's a response from New Tribe to your post about modifications:

Rotating the rigging plate:
The rigging plate is strong--solid machined aluminum, rated at 8,000 lbs (36kN). There are arrows at all four holes on the plate. The pull is intended to be from the larger single hole to any of the other three holes. It is thoroughly correct and safe as we use it. Tied on properly, it could also be safe in a rotated position.

Using a figure 8 on a bight in place of a stopper knot:
We use the stopper knot on Aero because it is reliable and compact. It is a proven safety knot commonly used in the US arborist industry for bridge connection and to back up other knots. We have confidence in it and you can rely on it. There are other ways to safely secure a rope. Tied on properly, a figure 8 on a bight could be safe in this location.

Using the same hole for both Blake's hitch cord and bridge rope:
We prefer a “clean” design with no crowding of the parts. With Aero, we keep the bridge rope and the cord attached to separate holes on the rigging plate so the system will operate smoothly and quietly. Putting both lines through one hole in the plate could cause the bridge rope to rub against the cord, making it awkward to adjust.

Modifying the New Tribe Aero Hunter system:
The Aero design, as we make it, follows professional safety practices. Use Aero as directed and designed, and you will be protected from a fall.

Risk is always the user's responsibility with any safety product. People sometimes customize climbing gear to suit their preference. There may be safe options for Aero that we didn't choose. Mistakes are also possible, where risk is not controlled. We help keep risk low by offering our best design for safety, utility, simplicity and comfort. Users change this system at their own risk. If changes are made to its design or use, we cannot be responsible for any failure of the equipment. We care about your safety—we do not recommend altering the Aero setup. If you do, please use caution!

Back