• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cheap and Dirty Bolt Steps

ricky racer

I see numerous posts by members of this site complaining about their feet getting sore standing on bolts or screw in steps. The issue is caused by the small contact area on those style of steps concentrating a high amount of pressure on the underside of your foot. Distributing that pressure over a larger area decreases the amount of pressure felt and adds more comfort to your feet.
Many of us use 3/8" grade 8 bolts to stand on. Below are a couple simple ideas for easy to make the bolt platform more comfortable.

IMG_20171030_33294.jpg
IMG_20171030_46737.jpg
The top picture shows steps made from 3" square steel box tubing available everywhere. The second picture shows steps made from 2" ID aluminum pipe. Just a couple of different options depending on what material is available to you.
I cut the material approximately 1" in width and drilled a 25/64" hole through the center while biasing the hole to the upper edge. By biasing the hole towards the top it makes the bottom heavier so the step will tend to self level when pressure is taken off of it.

Another nice thing is whatever angle your feet are at, the steps will match that angle.

IMG_20171030_6509.jpg
Since you only need a couple or a few of these for your platform, they can be easily clipped to a biner attached to your saddle. Just slip your bolt through the step before inserting it in the tree.

I haven't tried them on screw in tree steps but they work there as well. You'll need to experiment with that yourself.
For screw in steps, the Timber Tread steps I've offered for sale in the classifieds might be a better choice.

IMG_20171019_1128.jpg

Seems like it would be hard walking around the tree with the step swiveling. But bet it’s very comfortable stationary.

I haven't had a chance to try these out yet. I just had the idea and made them as an exercise. If I were using them, I'd probably just use them on the main 2 steps I was using while leaning or sitting, not all around the tree.

Be careful with ABS and PVC pipe, in cold weather it gets very brittle. When it does break the edges are extremely sharp.
Looking at our weather forecast in The Sip....we aint gonna have any cold weather anytime soon...LOL!

Back