• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cleaning game mounts

Topdog

SH Member
So here is a tip I learned today that others mite enjoy. I got the call from my taxidermist that my buck was ready so I picked it up today, while there I asked what he recommends for cleaning mounts. I have a cathedral ceiling in the room where I keep some of my heads and knew they were in need of a cleaning it’s just something that I never think about and a royal PITA to do. For the bears he said compressed air but be gentle and deer a feather duster, after that gently wipe them down with some Cowboy Shine, he gave me a small bottle to try and I gotta tell you it worked awesome. I think they sell this Cowboy Shine at Tractor Supply Company, it looks like milk. I ended up using the air compressor on everything from a safe distance and then gave them the shine treatment. Some of my deer mounts are 20 years old and I couldn’t believe how dusty they had gotten and faded looking, this cowboy shine stuff made them look like new, brings the pop back. A little of this shine stuff goes a long ways so use it sparingly, I just sprayed a mist on a paper towel and gently wiped everything down including the horns, around the bases of the horns and nose I sprayed a mist directly on them. Once I got started I ended up spending the whole day cleaning them, tomorrow the bears will get cleaned they look to be the worst.

Back