• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cleaning ropes

CamoMan

If you don't have ozone how are you guys cleaning ropes? Spraying them down with scent killer? Hand washing them in scent free detergent? Not sure what I should do to clean them of scent.

If you don't have ozone how are you guys cleaning ropes? Spraying them down with scent killer? Hand washing them in scent free detergent? Not sure what I should do to clean them of scent.
Even though I do use O2, I still launder my ropes, pack, and pretty much everything I can get in the washer.
I stuff things like ropes and stuff with straps in mesh bags before tossing into the washing machine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Even though I do use O2, I still launder my ropes, pack, and pretty much everything I can get in the washer.
I stuff things like ropes and stuff with straps in mesh bags before tossing into the washing machine.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I'm going to steal/use that idea. Thanks.

I hand wash my harnesses, ropes and webbing. A few dunks in the 5 gallon bucket of scent free soap and water. I then hang to air dry. I'm not sure but I don't think a washing machine is recommended for rope. I believe the tumbling and banging shortens the life time.

-Jeremy

I hand wash my harnesses, ropes and webbing. A few dunks in the 5 gallon bucket of scent free soap and water. I then hang to air dry. I'm not sure but I don't think a washing machine is recommended for rope. I believe the tumbling and banging shortens the life time.

-Jeremy
I should have mentioned that I use a front loader set on the hand wash cycle (cold water, gentle detergent, too). There's minimal tumbling and the spin cycle is really slow. If ropes can't take that amount of washing, then they probably aren't something I'd trust after a couple years of field use. I've been washing all kinds of stuff like this for a long time. I've seen no degradation of any gear. BTW, Nothing goes in the dryer. Everything gets air-dried.

-Jeremy
@Vtbow might could confirm/deny. I know he's got more experience with ropes than most.

I'm going to just admit that I have never and most likely will never wash my ropes. I view the finer points of scent control about the same way as I view alligning broadhead blades with fletchings...

Whether or not it helps, that's just too anal-retentive for my liking.

@Vtbow might could confirm/deny. I know he's got more experience with ropes than most.

I'm going to just admit that I have never and most likely will never wash my ropes. I view the finer points of scent control about the same way as I view alligning broadhead blades with fletchings...

I'm no rope expert, but I would think a rope with grit and debris imbedded within it would be harder on a rope than one that goes through gentle cleaning cycles with mild detergent. Look at the abuse that high alpine climbers put their ropes through. I can't imagine washing them could be any more abusive than climbing El Capitan.

Well here we go down the rabbit hole....

From my experience how you "wash" a rope is generally determined by the type of rope you have, specific usage, etc. Kermantle rope is comprised of a sheath and a core. The majority of the strength in the rope is created by the core. The sheath is there to protect it. Now there are "dry" treated climbing ropes. They can be dry treated on just the sheath or the core as well. Ropes that are "dry" ropes are the most durable and repel water the best. When ropes become wet they become much more difficult to manage. IF it is cold(ice climbing, etc.) they can freeze, a serious PITA.

Impacts of wet/previously wet, dirty ropes. I will stick to kermantle ropes, because that is my experience. Ropes that become wet and embedded with debris have two issues: 1) IF the core is saturated there is an impact in how well they absorb force. 2)If the sheath is so dusty, covered in debris, and "coarse" feeling, it can actually wear away aluminum hardware. Some of these characteristics can remain after the rope has dried. Now we're talking normal climbing use here, like rapping 300-400 feet on a multi-pitch route or such. For this reason I have always had dedicated "caving" ropes, "lead" climbing ropes, and "top" ropes. each endure different stresses and have different retirement schedules.

Washing. I have never in my life "washed" a rope. I have rinsed them, and gently cleaned them. If a rope has become wet or dirty from use I hang it to dry, then brush it off with a nylon broom or bristle brush I know wasnt used on the garage floor where it may have been contaminated by any checmicals/etc. I have friends who would take a dirty rope and throw it in a kitty pool full of water, shake it quickly and then immediatley take it out to dry. CMI and some other companies have a rope washer( https://www.cmi-gear.com/products/rope-washer?variant=640513253) that actually works pretty well and I have friends who used to use that. There is a spiral brush in the inside of it, and a spiral spray pattern. I would highly not recommend ever putting a rope in a washing machine of any sort, weird stress, potentially for leftover bleach, nikwak wash in products, yada, yada, yada. A washing machine will generally saturate the rope completely. Remember, the sheath protects the rope from the majority of the dirt/water in normal use, so even though it looks nasty, its may not be that bad on the interior. The more you introduce moisture to a rope the more chance of adding bacteria/mold etc. to it would could potentially impact the reliability of it. There are specific mild detergents marketed for climbing rope as well. I have never used them, I am of the camp that I would not like to add any chemicals to my lifeline, period. Some soaps have pretty harsh chemicals in them, even if they are "non scented".

I would apply the above info to both static and dynamic rope. I know nothing about amsteel, poly, or some of the other cord types that do not fall into the "kermantle" category which some people use.

Just my $.02 and probably a longer winded post than needed, sorry. I'm bored at work.

Happy Friday, cheers!

I agree with @Vtbow. A rope washer like CMI's is all you need 99.999% of the time. If I perform a removal on a huge White Pine in the summer, my climbing line will be absolutely soaked in pine sap. That SUCKS! It's pretty much the only time I wash my ropes in a machine. I run my washer empty on the largest load size setting with mild detergent to clean out residual bleach, fabric softener, etc. Then I daisy chain my rope, put it in a mesh bag, and run the machine on gentle with super mild, scent free detergent. (i.e. Dreft) Then I hang it out to dry completely before I use it again. I'll probably never wash my hunting ropes in a machine. I just don't foresee a situation that would call for it.

P.S.
I would carefully research the materials in your rope and how they're affected by ozone before treating them with it. I don't know anything about it, but I do know it deteriorates some materials.

I ain't gonna lie, I used to throw my ropes in a machine too if they got caked up with pine sap. Maybe not the best practice but it worked.

Back