• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

cleaning your saddle

martian

I haven't gotten mine out of the container this year yet, to see if it is machine washable or not, this is my second year, I guess , if I find no info on it, I willl use scent frees soap a brush, and line dry outside, and scent free spray down comments?

Could probably do it a machine if u have a mesh bag

I just washed my saddle, ropes , packs , platform , aiders, webbing, turkey hunting gear

Everything had sweat, dirt, burned tree marks, blood

From looking on here , rockslide & archery talk I combined what I found

-Threw gear in my coolers

-added free & clear laundry soap & vinegar (enough to get some suds going when u agitate it)

-agitate it ( cuss at it, manually pushed, stirred, sloshed everything )occasionally over the course of several hrs throughout a morning

-filled coolers with fresh water to rinse

-filled back up with water and dumped an assload of baking soda in the water

-let soak for afternoon & sloshed it occasionally to get it distributed good

-filled coolers for a quick rinse

-laid out in backyard to dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I stuff mine in a small fanny pack (kill 2 birds with one stone) and wash it on the hand wash cycle of my front loader on cold. I usually use Sport Wash or some other "hunter's detergent. Hang it on the line to dry with the rest of my hunting stuff that I also laundered and run O3 in the room. It goes into a tub after it's dry and usually gets a stronger O3 treatment the morning of the hunt, along with the rest of what I'm gonna wear that day.

I clean all my ropes, harnesses, etc. in a clean bathtub. I soak for a long time in warm water with hand agitation and use a small amount of dawn detergent. I then rinse and repeat this process with a hunting soap. I soak with just water for a while at the end. If you do this a few times a year (for me at least), it never gets bad enough to warrant using a brush or washing machine. I hang to dry in a dry spot inside. My main thing is to always unpack and hang to dry wet gear that night if it rains on me. This can be a challenge when you get home late and are beleaguered from spending a day in rain. If you keep your gear dry, then it starts stinking more slowly and a lot of the dirt falls off during use and is less likely to work itself into the material.

Last edited:
The large mesh bag gets all the ropes and saddle. Use the same All Free and Clear laundry detergent as I normally do. I will wash separate from clothing if they are especially nasty. Otherwise it’s everything in at the same time. The mash bag is highly recommended if you have an agitator in the washing machine.

Back