• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climber Platform and Tree Saddle Combo

BowhunterXC

I like the simplicity of a climber, but prefer my Mission platform, Muddy climbing sticks and Cruzr tree saddle for hunting with my traditional bows. I've hunted out of my Summit Viper and have been working around the safety rail. :rolleyes: I broke down and purchased a Summit Open Shot and killed my first deer out of it, with my ILF recurve bow. :) Even so, I've caught the quiver and/or bottom limb a couple of times on the hand climber. o_O

After running across the video below, I tried using my Viper platform with my Cruzr tree saddle and rappelled out. I was absolutely shocked at how easy it is to climb, I have more room on the Viper platform and rappelling out is super sweet. I may be ordering a Sterling FCX, soon. :cool: This has become my new Climbing Method for bow hunting!

The combination of these two has changed things for me.
What are your thoughts?

I like the simplicity of a climber, but prefer my Mission platform, Muddy climbing sticks and Cruzr tree saddle for hunting with my traditional bows. I've hunted out of my Summit Viper and have been working around the safety rail. :rolleyes: I broke down and purchased a Summit Open Shot and killed my first deer out of it, with my ILF recurve bow. :) Even so, I've caught the quiver and/or bottom limb a couple of times on the hand climber. o_O

After running across the video below, I tried using my Viper platform with my Cruzr tree saddle and rappelled out. I was absolutely shocked at how easy it is to climb, I have more room on the Viper platform and rappelling out is super sweet. I may be ordering a Sterling FCX, soon. :cool: This has become my new Climbing Method for bow hunting!

The combination of these two has changed things for me.
What are your thoughts?
The 2TC crew is getting their pitchforks...

Lol in all honesty it looks good enough, I don't have any climber experience but would assume one of the only drawbacks is it limits what trees you can climb and that would be a drawback to a lot of saddlehunters (though I think, myself included, we as a group climb more telephone trees than we admit to...)

I considered using the platform for my Hawk Lightweight climber, but I have always thought id prefer a traditional saddle style platform for mobility and ability to take side pressure in the tree. I might have to give it a go one of these days, as it definitely would be an easier climb than the 1 sticking I currently do.

Climbers are great but that rappel method isn't gonna work with a tree that isn't leaning. Not sure how safe it is either, haven't tried it but seems to me it would be relatively easy for an inexperienced rapeller which I would say 99% of hunters are to get ahead of your platform and get stuck in a bad situation with feet stuck.

Those guys have some good ideas but they are youtubers first, making content for eyeballs. I'm not a huge fan.

I considered using the platform for my Hawk Lightweight climber, but I have always thought id prefer a traditional saddle style platform for mobility and ability to take side pressure in the tree. I might have to give it a go one of these days, as it definitely would be an easier climb than the 1 sticking I currently do.
You're right about the side pressure, on a climber platform. It just won't take it. :rolleyes: However, I know that and while using it, I keep it in mind and just lean vs pushing off of it. :)

Things are different on the Viper platform, I will say that about it. There's sooo much foot room, I don't miss the ability to push off the side of it. So, in a way, it's not necessary. As with all of the different climbing methods and different gear, there are good and not so good features. :cool:

I saw that video before and it looked interesting but also scared the daylights out of me. Just curious if you secure the platform to the tree with any kind of strap or something once you’re at height? I would be terrified of that thing kicking up on me and dropping all the way to the ground and I take a spill into the tree in the saddle and no easy-ish way to recover.

I saw that video before and it looked interesting but also scared the daylights out of me. Just curious if you secure the platform to the tree with any kind of strap or something once you’re at height? I would be terrified of that thing kicking up on me and dropping all the way to the ground and I take a spill into the tree in the saddle and no easy-ish way to recover.
As for your fears of the platform dropping.... Even if it did, all you'd have to do is rappel down to it and climb back up. Therefore the reasoning behind the Sterling FCX device, which already in place as you climb. I'm currently using a Figure 8 with a prusik tender, while I rappel and it works, but has to be changed over at hunting height. :rolleyes: A Sterling FCX device would replace 3 other pieces. I just haven't ordered one yet, because I wanted to try this system out, before diving in any further. ;)
I use the cinch strap that comes with the Summit Viper and wrap it around the cables. It can't fall after that's installed. :)
Climber, Saddle, Rappel 1.jpg

Last edited:
As for your fears of the platform dropping.... Even if it did, all you'd have to do is rappel down to it and climb back up. Therefore the reasoning behind the Sterling FCX device, which already in place as you climb. I'm currently using a Figure 8 with a prusik tender, while I rappel and it works, but has to be changed over at hunting height. :rolleyes: A Sterling FCX device would replace 3 other pieces. I just haven't ordered one yet, because I wanted to try this system out, before diving in any further. ;)
I use the cinch strap that comes with the Summit Viper and wrap it around the cables. It can't fall after that's installed. :)
View attachment 92594
Not to sound like the safety police...but is your arrow facing you there?

View attachment 92594
Well that makes me feel better that you’re using that finch strap on the cable. I’m not a fan of heights to begin with so need to feel secure up in a tree regardless of how I do it. I have a summit viper also and may give this a shot this year.

Just watched that video. I can’t see doing the rappel down with it. I see myself having it grab the tree and causing at best a lot of noise. If someone else has the coordination to keep things free flowing, great for them. I hate the bulk of the climber more than it’s weight. Keeping the base of the climber means I’m stuck with the bulk walking through the woods. At that point, I’ll just use the entire climber. You’ve accepted that you aren’t going around branches as well, so again, might as well use the entire climber. Maybe if the climber base was just the size of a saddle hunting platform I would give it a try. But I’ve go the full size climber and have no interest in hauling that beast with a saddle setup. And all of that ignores the fear of kick out.

@Benzy2
There is no "kick out", because there's no need to use side pressure, rather you just lean like you would in any climbing platform. As for the bulk, it's just the platform, so a smaller platform could be used. My entire system using the Viper platform w/ tree saddle (including rappel rope) weighs 17 lbs. There's no coordination for rappelling with the platform, if you use the bungee cord and the stirrups as it's designed. :)

I'm not trying to "sell" you on this system or justify it to anyone. Everyone has to use what works for them, as an individual. :cool:

@Benzy2
There is no "kick out", because there's no need to use side pressure, rather you just lean like you would in any climbing platform. As for the bulk, it's just the platform, so a smaller platform could be used. My entire system using the Viper platform w/ tree saddle (including rappel rope) weighs 17 lbs. There's no coordination for rappelling with the platform, if you use the bungee cord and the stirrups as it's designed. :)

I'm not trying to "sell" you on this system or justify it to anyone. Everyone has to use what works for them, as an individual. :cool:
There is kick out. I’ve had it happen using the full climber and was glad I had the top and bottom tethered together…as well as my safety harness. If you haven’t experienced it, good. But it’s a real possibility that I’ve experienced first hand. The bulk is my issue. It catches on everything here. If you don’t mind the bulk, again great. But I put the climber away because I can’t stand getting caught up on the brush like I do. It’s a lot of swamps and thick scrub here and I personally fought way too long getting through it with the climber. Now it only goes with me when I’m walking a wide, clear path. The weight I can deal with, it’s the width and height that is frustrating. There is coordination rappelling while keeping the climber stand from grabbing. Too far and the cable grabs, not far enough and the stand grabs. It’s clumsy enough sitting on the climber. I cannot see how it gets less clumsy on a rappel.

Again, if it works for you great. But I absolutely will not be giving this one a try for the issues I’ve already had with climbers not being solved by this method and likely getting worse.

Edit: I would say if you had a climber base that’s the size of a normal saddle platform, a good chunk of my issue goes away. Having a solid way to secure it at height would eliminate the rest of my issue. Just saw a video a guy made of a modified climber base that was cut to match a predator platform size and that would be a much more doable setup.

Last edited:
@Benzy2
I'll have to agree with you on the bulk issue, especially if the terrain you're hunting is thick.
I have a smaller platform from my Summit Open Shot, but I have that stand for sale. If it doesn't sell, I may start using it, but for now I'll just keep using my Viper platform.

The only time I've experienced any kick out is if I lean too far out on the platform, which is to be expected. To avoid that, I just don't lean past the edges of the platform. :) So, I'm wrong in saying "there's no kick out". I just have to keep in mind to not lean out past the edges, which is very similar the side of a kayak or canoe. :rolleyes:

I've been using my slightly modded summit open shot hand climber for my platform/climbing method going on my third season now. I absolutely love it for where I hunt, and I wouldn't do it any other way. It weighs a few ounces over 5 pounds. I also cut up and used the XOP TTS, so I wear it with the cables down and pack all my gear on it.

I walk over 2 miles to where I hunt on public land. 5 pounds for a climbing method/platform compared to a 20-pound climber is a huge difference walking far over rugged terrain, especially in November when I carry all my layers/cold weather gear in. I hunt hill country and don't need to do the fancy shots, so if I set it right, I don't need to apply side pressure, because I'm in prime position for a shot to begin with.

First, I took the flip-up seat frame off and used a disc grinder to cut off the brackets.
I then cut three slats/cross-members from the bottom platform piece and put them on the TOP of the top piece frame.
I drilled holes and used grade 8 bolts to keep them in place (overkill).
I used the disc grinder to make the teeth sharper/more aggressive so the kick out would not be as easy to do.
I then covered the outer frame with camo hockey stick tape
I put nonskid tread tape on the cross members/platform
I put a light-duty carabiner on the summit tether, which is girth hitched to the stand. (attach the climber piece to yourself with the mini beaner)
I took the green cinch strap that comes with the stand (for packing it up) and made a one-step aider to get up on the platform so I start with the stand about 40" off the ground.
I cut up the XOP TTS so it would fit the platform because it is pretty small and fits weirdly on my back without it.
I wear it with cables down, so the V bracket acts like a shelf for all my gear, which is held in place with bungees.
I bought a cheap bicycle water bottle holder and bottle on amazon and attached it to the side of the stand as well.

Because the top piece of the open shot is small, I'm able to slide my feet under the vertical V bracket, twist my legs outward, tip my toes forward, and lift with ease.

For reference, my boots are size 8 (stop laughing!!)

I'm 5'7", weigh 250 pounds, and I am not in shape at all.

I can climb this way with ease and can almost get 2' vertical moves each time now with over two seasons of using this method.

I can take a pic of what it looks like packed up, and a pic of it on the tree with the one-step aider. If there is any interest, let me know.

open2.jpg
now.jpg

I just sold all my treestands to go full saddle (second time). You guys have to stop making me want to buy another stand! I loved my viper but hated the bulk. Even had a lone wolf hand climber top at one point (loved it, too much fear of breakage). Now that Daggone open shot idea looks pretty slick! It never ends! Hahahah

@Fatty in a tree
Your modification of the hand climber is awesome! :cool:
There's no way my size 12 boots are going to fit or come close to being comfortable on such a small space. o_O
I find it amazing at what we bowhunters can accomplish with a little ingenuity. :)

Thanks!!

There is room for another cross member where my heels are, which will most likely add quite a bit more foot room.

I just sold all my treestands to go full saddle (second time). You guys have to stop making me want to buy another stand! I loved my viper but hated the bulk. Even had a lone wolf hand climber top at one point (loved it, too much fear of breakage). Now that Daggone open shot idea looks pretty slick! It never ends! Hahahah
If I'm not mistaken I think you can buy just the top portion of a Summit open shot without buying the whole stand. I think a lot of Summit's stands share the same or very similar platform and the idea was maybe buy a Viper and later on buy the open shot top and depending on your situation that hunt would determine which top you took that day.

I have an older American made API that looks brand spanking new, yet was my only stand for many years and definitely gotten used. Super comfortable and super sturdy and safe. I have the Bowhunter model that is open front but still has the sling style comfy seat with a back. My sits tend to be long ones so I lean a bit more toward comfort.

I love that old API but like a lot mentioned above it was the bulk and packability that I hated. Also one thing a Summit has over the API is a Summit will at least nest together and an API will not, making it stick off your back even farther and feel like it carries heavier. I have seen a few videos where people used the bottom of a climber and to be honest I'd rather do that than hang sticks but on the other hand the whole reason I went to a saddle setup was to get into these trees I couldn't with a climber.

I will say this though, whenever I do go on a hunt where my climber will work, I won't wear a traditional harness, I will use my saddle and hunt out of my climber more hybrid style. I've grown accustomed to the constant tension.

I still have two Summit Viper climbers. Love those stands. That being said, carrying even one half is hard for me to imagine now after saddle hunting with much less bulk.

Back