• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing harness with lineman belt loops

DaveH

It appears that most rock climbing harnesses aren't equipped with the side loops to attach a lineman belt. I'm thinking about a harness to use with my SitDrag and would like one that has this feature. I've seen some chinese-made harnesses that appear to fill the bill but I'm not sure what to think about their quality.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

It's a safer bet to get a good known harness and add the Linesman's loops. Safest structure is to run webbing all the way across the back and tie a loop on each end. You can tie THAT onto the harness belt with webbing. The Alpine BOD has a gear hauling loop on the back you can run it through as well.

EASIER....Get a Treehoper Linesman's Belt. I like that solution as I can use it without the harness when I want to. It is rock solid and easy to work with. It's what I use with a Sit Drag and an Ultralight Camp harness or Alpine BOD.

I think Metolius harness gear loops are made to withstand climbing loads. Ive got one, but still just use the sitdrag for lineman belt duty

Probably not but they can be strong. "Haul Loops" are generally rated high but they are the thick ones on the back.

On an Alpine bod the gear loops are thin
I think Metolius harness gear loops are made to withstand climbing loads. Ive got one, but still just use the sitdrag for lineman belt duty

I cant find this info on metolius website at first glance but on backcountry

"Metolius designed the Safe Tech Deluxe Improved Harness for dudes who want that extra peace-of-mind when they're out on a ledge. Each component (including leg risers, gear-loops, haul-loops, and belay-loops) is engineered to withstand a load of at least 2250lbf, which is full strength and typically the max impact force rating of a modern climbing rope."

still, the gear loops don't seem to line up in an ideal position for quick lineman belt work for me anyway. Why I find it easier to just use the sitdrag for that purpose

I've had some that came with tree stands that would have worked great. If I had only known I was giving them out while I was using the RC in a conventional stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Safe Tech looks pretty great. I might have to pick one up. The Alpine Bod is a 'nut squeezer' and the Camp Ultralight is a love handle squeezer. Should I loose 20 pounds or get a new harness? ;) (BOTH)

Just got back from a short roadtrip to REI. The local store carries very few harnesses. Now, if I had been looking for a pack to fit a dog, I would probably have been in luck! :(

Never mind my question. You explained it in the "ultralight harness" thread that I just read. One feature the BOD harnesses have that I find appealing is that you don't have to step into the leg straps. I guess there is a price to be paid for that convenience, eh? ;)

I wear my harness in. The less time I spend stinking up the place around base of my tree the better. But if you were to put it on at tree, I could see speed clips on legs and waist being an advantage.
The only tedious part of the metolius harnesses is the buckle, but by tedious I mean it may take me 10-15 seconds of working the strap through.
I can't comment on comfort as it's the only harness I've owned. It's more comfortable one sticking than a tree saddle, I do know that

If you get the BOD situated just right, it isn't too bad. But they aren't designed for climbing comfort. Just to keep you from sliding down a mountain.

I wear a harness when I have to do a lot of presenting trees for instance. The EVO was bulkier than it needed to be for that.

I've never owned a climbing harness but, just from the looks of them, I"m not expecting much comfort. It will be used as a fall arrest device to save my bacon if the SD decides to crap out, which I think is doubtful anyway. I'm just thinking that I'd prefer to adapt the harness to be used with lineman's belt, rather than the SD.

justsomedude, maybe you can answer a question about BOD sizing? I'm a 38 waist which puts me toward the upper end of an XL. Do you think there will be a problem with wearing it over late season heavy clothes?

I've never owned a climbing harness but, just from the looks of them, I"m not expecting much comfort. It will be used as a fall arrest device to save my bacon if the SD decides to crap out, which I think is doubtful anyway. I'm just thinking that I'd prefer to adapt the harness to be used with lineman's belt, rather than the SD.

justsomedude, maybe you can answer a question about BOD sizing? I'm a 38 waist which puts me toward the upper end of an XL. Do you think there will be a problem with wearing it over late season heavy clothes?
if you ever decide to try rappel along with any interesting climbing methods, the climbing harness will become one of your best pieces of gear. Choose wisely

Good advice. I haven't rappelled in 40 years. :eek: It was great fun on rock cliffs and climbing towers but I'm 99.9% certain that I won't be rappelling out of trees. I plan to use sticks even though they are a hassle to carry. :cool:

Good advice. I haven't rappelled in 40 years. :eek: It was great fun on rock cliffs and climbing towers but I'm 99.9% certain that I won't be rappelling out of trees. I plan to use sticks even though they are a hassle to carry. :cool:

come on. I'm always reading about these 100 year old ladies sky diving. They aren't even attached to a tree

Actually, when you think about it, getting down out of the tree is the easy part! Besides, even those old ladies have a reserve chute.

Back