• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing in the dark.

4 Beards

I use Helium sticks and Squirrel steps. I see pictures of people painting something on them to step on them in the dark. What works good? What color?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut some small pieces of automotive reflective tape and stuck them in the valleys between each of the ridges on top of the steps. Seems to work great. I also put a strip on top of the upper standoff so it’s visible from above as I descend. Honestly more worried about descending then ascending in the dark. Seems to work pretty good so far. I can see the steps quite well with my headlamp either on low white light or on red light but I don’t think the deer will be able to see it.

Gun Glow paint also works great. This is my first year doing it, and it’s amazing looking down and seeing dots everywhere your feet go. I’m practicing doing everything by feel or at max with a dim read headlamp when needed.

Back