• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing in THEIR Park

bj139

I tried SRT for the first time in my local borough park and was sitting up at 15 feet and was approached by the local borough workers. They asked me what I was doing and I said climbing a tree. They said it was unusual and I said I was practicing for hunting. They asked if I could go to the borough office to get a permit to climb a tree in THEIR park and I asked them to quote the regulation saying I could not climb in THEIR park. :) They didn't know of one so I commented there probably would be one after the next borough meeting. They asked me if I was OK and not stuck and I told them I was fine. I told them I would go to the office. I am not sure why I need permission since I am paying those guys salaries and for the park and all upkeep. I will go talk nicely to my overseers about the situation but I always hate when I have to reply, "Yes, masser".

I accidentally caught the borough workers in the photo at the top.:grinning:

@bj139 totally should've switched that around on them...

"What are you doing?"
"I'm practicing for American Ninja Warrior - Michigan. You want an autograph now? Not sure I'm going to be back here after the contest."

I went to talk to the borough manager and he said he was not aware of any regulation against it. He did say I was not allowed to climb HIS trees and I stopped him immediately to correct him and he then said the borough's trees. Finally, he agreed to get the solicitor to make up a "Hold Harmless" agreeement which I could sign and then I could climb. I said I would, since I consider climbing trees safe using all the safety tethers that we use. He told me his wife went rock jumping at a river, signed a hold harmless and got hurt and their insurance did not cover the accident. I imagine if I went bungee jumping or skydiving I would have to do the same. Tree climbing is MUCH MUCH safer.

@bj139 totally should've switched that around on them...

"What are you doing?"
"I'm practicing for American Ninja Warrior - Michigan. You want an autograph now? Not sure I'm going to be back here after the contest."
I was going to tell them I was baking a cake but I got reprimanded on another online site for being "snarky". Yup, that's me snarky.:grinning:

Now, since there is currently no regulation against tree climbing, I am off to practice throwing a plumbing fixture over the crotch of a tree. I don't think there can be a regulation against that. The manager wanted to develop a policy of all activities deemed by him to be extreme would be illegal and I mentioned the king used to deem anything he wanted and it was so. I told him it was un-American to just make up illegalities and that stopped him from mentioning further regulation.

I might as well throw the rest of the photos here. Uh Oh, Grigri handle caught in carabiner. It doesn't activate for another 90 degrees or so.

Last edited:
Some thoughts occured to me while climbing.
1) A platform to stand on would be nice.
2) How would I swing a crossbow over and around this ascension rope.
3) Climbing to height is much quicker than climbing sticks and the gear is lighter.

A platform would pretty much eliminate #1 and #2. I am not sure a Predator strap would go around this tree.

Some thoughts occured to me while climbing.
1) A platform to stand on would be nice.
2) How would I swing a crossbow over and around this ascension rope.
3) Climbing to height is much quicker than climbing sticks and the gear is lighter.

A platform would pretty much eliminate #1 and #2. I am not sure a Predator strap would go around this tree.

SRT is just a method of ascension like hunting sticks. You would still probably want to be tethered in with your bridge to shoot and want some type of step or platform for your feet to go on when you are up there...

As far as hunting big trees, I know @John Eberhart uses a screw in T to hook his tether/bridge to so you eliminate the need to wrap around. I'm not sure I advise screwing something into the tree at a park.

I would consider just wearing your camo and just pretending these employees are some wary, extra smelly does...

I went to the borough office to see if the liability waiver was ready for me to sign. The borough manager told me the solicitor was working on it and would have something today. He did say that the solicitor wanted to make sure I would be responsible for any damage I caused. If a car driver looked at me hanging in a tree and drove into a parked car, would that be my fault? I sense they are just trying to prevent me from climbing in THEIR park. If it is more than a simple liability waiver, I don't think I will sign it. I expect wild edge steps would have me liable for thousands of dollars in tree damage.

Seems like getting out to land outside of the city makes more sense than arguing with people in charge of keeping the park nice for everyone.

Although, I'd love to be a fly on the wall listen to you all getting fresh with each other.

Seems like getting out to land outside of the city makes more sense than arguing with people in charge of keeping the park nice for everyone.

Although, I'd love to be a fly on the wall listen to you all getting fresh with each other.
They are actually very nice people at the borough office. It could have turned heated but didn't. He did tell me previously there was currently no regulation preventing tree climbing in the park. It has been 98F degrees the last few days or I probably would have been practicing climbing in MY park. I figure it might take them a month to get a new regulation in place so after a month of climbing practice I would probably be ready for hunting and would not need any more practice locally. If the timing and temperature are right next week I'm thinking of driving 1/2 hour to the local state park where hunting is allowed and take my crossbow and tree climbing equipment to find out what operations are involved in getting to hunting up a tree. Coyotes are always in season here so that is what I would be hunting if asked. I already have my hunting license and just received my doe permit in the mail a few days ago. I need to do some scouting in this area. I saw plenty of deer sign in this area last year.

Back