• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing method for JX3?

Vtbow

Whats everyone using? I'm guessing a lot of 1 sticking. I"m not sure I necessarily want to go there. I'm thinking of cutting some sticks down so the standoffs are exactlythe width of the seat so they pack well, but am not really sure what to do. IT already feels a little wide on my back. I"m thining Public legal here. I will be using bolts the rest of the time.

Thanks!

Beast sticks for me. Barely adds any width... you could just match their stand off measurements because they fit pretty snug.

PackingBeastSticks.jpg

If I weren’t one sticking or bolts, I’d do squirrel steps, stepps/knaider, or short sticks, in that order

Lo

Looks like aider on first stick?

Yes, but I actually don't use that anymore. My coordination level and aiders DO NOT MIX.

I use the 4 beast sticks. I also carry two cranford steps with me and I use a ROS. 4 beast sticks w/o aiders gets the top stick to just about 14.5-15.0 feet. If I want to go as high as I can, I put the ROS about shoulder height (which is about 20 feet) when I'm on the top stick. I then screw in one step at knee height and one at waist and climb up. This set up gives me the option of being as low as 14.5 feet or as high as 20. I could just carry a 5th stick, but it's hard to do quietly (I have found). Also, many times depending on cover and branches I don't want to up to 20, so this gives me the option of going lower w/o having to drop a stick back down or decide before I start climbing. I can just decide as I'm climbing when I know what the lean is, where the branches are, what I'm seeing, etc.

It seems like alot of the JX-3 guys like one stick up and rappel down. It's just not for me....

Yes, but I actually don't use that anymore. My coordination level and aiders DO NOT MIX.

I use the 4 beast sticks. I also carry two cranford steps with me and I use a ROS. 4 beast sticks w/o aiders gets the top stick to just about 14.5-15.0 feet. If I want to go as high as I can, I put the ROS about shoulder height (which is about 20 feet) when I'm on the top stick. I then screw in one step at knee height and one at waist and climb up. This set up gives me the option of being as low as 14.5 feet or as high as 20. I could just carry a 5th stick, but it's hard to do quietly (I have found). Also, many times depending on cover and branches I don't want to up to 20, so this gives me the option of going lower w/o having to drop a stick back down or decide before I start climbing. I can just decide as I'm climbing when I know what the lean is, where the branches are, what I'm seeing, etc.

It seems like alot of the JX-3 guys like one stick up and rappel down. It's just not for me....
Thanks for the detail. REal similar to what I used to do with my 5 LW minis. I"d cary 5 cranford strap on steps too and put one inbetween each stick if I wanted to get higher, otherwords theyd stay in my pack.

I"m fine rapelling and have all the gear, just kind of a pain in the snow and to carry the gear and the finick factory of pulling the rope down after..I"m gong for simplicity!

Back