• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing onto the top step......

Live2huntt

As I write this I am 20' up on my Muddy Pros....I assume I know the answer to this question but....Are you guys just grabbing the tree to climb up onto your top step? I always feel a little "iffy" about that step into the last stick without one above me to grab onto. Unfortunately I don't have my saddle yet so I am just practicing with my sticks and movable aider.
db80dcd04c7bf886c51c5e0594579b1d.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I always have a lineman’s belt and step up while holding the tree. This is when the tether would be attach and one could then transfer to platform, Steps, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I step up 18-24. I attach my tether (leaving my lineman's belt on) and then grab my tether to assist with the step up

Just to be clear I am talking about stepping up onto your last stick to prepare to hang your platform. I always have my lineman's belt on, but that that point there is no stick above you to help pull yourself up.

oh ok... I feel very confident standing on my top stick with my lineman belt

Just to be clear I am talking about stepping up onto your last stick to prepare to hang your platform. I always have my lineman's belt on, but that that point there is no stick above you to help pull yourself up.

If you are worried about it you can use your tether to pull yourself up. Really you can set your platform 4 feet up and use the method Cain uses to pull your self up using your tether. If you wish. He was using the tether to basically walk the tree to the next step .

oh ok... I feel very confident standing on my top stick with my lineman belt
I am fine when I get on it, it's just that step up while just holding onto the tree. I guess it's just the fact my hand isn't straight above me to help pull up.

guess I've just done it so much I don't think twice about it

Yeah I'm sure I just need more practice. I am used to hanging a lock on level or just above the last stick so I have always just grabbed the post of the stand.

some stand company makes a screw in handle for that. Also, you could buy one stepp and use it to get on and off. You could girth hitch a piece of webbing with a loop in it to pull yourself up. You could use your tether. You could use the sides of your linemans belt sort of like a flip line and hold on to those.

Wear gloves - it really changed climbing for me - I never thought about it when I was younger because I didn't want to damage my dainty camo gloves. So had torn up wet frozen hands. Then one day went straight from work to hang a set and had good mechanix gloves in my pocket. been using something like that ever since.

Mostly, it's getting used to being 20' in the air, and at the end of the line so to speak. May help mentally to go ahead and tie your tether on, and clip in if it gives you some peace of mind to be double strapped.

Back