• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing peg spacing

PJC

I've used climbing pegs only a few times on presets. I never seem to be able to get the spacing right. They're either too far apart or too close together. There has to be a method or a rule of thumb people use for spacing out climbing pegs. Any suggestions?

I had this same issue. Even and inch or two difference can be a big deal climbing down in the dark. That "did I miss the step feeling"... I carry a piece of paracord tied with a loop at the distance I want the step. Hook it on the last bolt set and stretch it up. Drill across from the end of the cord at that height. Switch to the other side as I go up. Just figure out what distance you want. Keeps the spacing consistent.

I used to put my first step in from the ground and then step up and lift my opposite leg to the comfortable height. Then I would score the tree with a knife along the bottom of my boot. Screw in at the score mark. Repeat repeat repeat repeat................................ . Two seasons later I would be ready to hunt.

Reactions: PJC
I find a reference point on my body as I'm setting them up and always put the next one at that spot. Once you do it enough it works pretty well.

I used to put my first step in from the ground and then step up and lift my opposite leg to the comfortable height. Then I would score the tree with a knife along the bottom of my boot. Screw in at the score mark. Repeat repeat repeat repeat................................ . Two seasons later I would be ready to hunt.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My obsessive compulsive nature had me toting a measuring stick into the woods. I wanted each one to be perfectly spaced.....jeeze

Back