• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing Pines w/ Tree Step or bolts.

redhawk

Is anyone climbing Pines with Cranford tree steps or Treehopper bolts? If so do you angle the bolts more to compensate the soft wood? What are you using to get the sap off of the threads?

Thanks!

Is anyone climbing Pines with Cranford tree steps or Treehopper bolts? If so do you angle the bolts more to compensate the soft wood? What are you using to get the sap off of the threads?

Thanks!
I use regular grade 8 bolts, angle them slightly more & leave them in the tree.

The articulating Cranford steps are more suited to hardwood.The Ameristep one piece steps are more suited to Pines and other softwood. Ive never had an Ameristep pull out of Pine or other softwood.Cranford does make a solid Ezy climb step, similiar to the Ameristep that works on softwood.

Last edited:
A little bit more angle. I throw them in the dirt and then wipe the sappy dirt off later.

Have put Cranfords in many many many pines with no problems and i am a big boy About 285 before breakfast Just bury the threads Little angle on your bolts and they work just fine Hunt in pines so much down this way i dont even worry about the sap Just part of it

Last edited:
Acetone takes off pine sap
Sho do.

I have switched from carbon fiber to titanium rods with my drill. I use them in pines the same as I use them in hardwoods. I set the first 2 parallel to the ground, step up on them, and if they sag I angle the rest. As far as sap, it washes off ok enough with hot water at the house. Or acetone.

Have put Cranfords in many many many pines with no problems and i am a big boy About 285 before breakfast Just bury the threads Little angle on your bolts and they work just fine Hunt in pines so much down this way i dont even worry about the sap Just part of it

Do you like the Cranford Steps over say the Ameristep Grizzly Steps? With your bolts, are you putting them in 5 and 7 position up the tree like the tree steps? Do you find the bolt or steps to be more suitable for run and gun style of hunting?

3 times I had them pull out descending on pines, they were screwed in straight not angled .The last time I ended up on my back luckily from only about 6 ft up. I changed to Ameristep and never again had one pull out reguardless of angle. That was 30 yrs ago.

Cranfords are the best screw in made IMO put my bolts in the same positions as my screwins At Knee Hip and Shoulder height Cranfords were my primary run and gun method for many years I have worn out the threads on several steps They are a little faster going up than bolts Little slower coming down But not as compact Also easier to use on large trees as you can hang on to them better

Back