• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing ropes that can be spliced

Njjb122

Jan 3, 2021
Im new to the saddle game and so far i purchased 2 different types of ropes that cant be spliced the oplux can be but it looks like a pain in the ass...im not a fan of knots i should of just purchased them from tethered but wanted to save money because i figured i could do it myself as i spliced ropes for marine purposes before...so far im up to 50bucks on ropes so im still optimistic i could keep it under the 120 that 2 of tethereds ropes would cost

Nimbus1376

SH Member
Nov 21, 2020
Lewisburg, PA
I’m not a fan of knots either, but a scaffold knot with an oval quick link, delta quick link, or carabiner is really quite slick and you should check it out. It’s what I’m using on my rappelling tether and I really like it. B5F2BB32-5FEC-40EA-A7BE-DEC36C3023FB.jpeg

JFin15

SH Member
Nov 1, 2019
Central AL
Basically any double braid (24 strand) can be spliced with a tight eye. I have a 9ft samsom velocity 2-n-1 lanyard I made like that. I use it as a double linemans belt when passing limbs and as my tether once at height

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brocky

Njjb122

Jan 3, 2021
Thanks nimbus i actually just came across that a scaffolds knot and poachers knot they are pretty slick and its alot more streamlined then i thought im probably going to use that method for awhile considering i already have the rope...alot of the trees im going to be climbing have alot of limbs on them so ill be rotating between tether and linemans quite a bit and ive had a few people recommend 2 tethers with bigger loops this way which ever i end up with at the top can be used as the tether and i could pass carabiner and ropeman through easier...im not too sure if its a big deal id just have to connect my linemans 1 additional time ...but like i said im a newb at this

Reactions: Nimbus1376