• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

climbing safely and efficiently

tiderdan

Is it better to climb up with your steps using a safety belt or lifeline. You still have to initially climb up to set up a lifeline don't you ?

"Better" is relative. There is always a risk associated with climbing. The lineman's belt is a fall prevention device rather than a fall arrest device. The lifeline is a fall arrest device. I climb with my lineman's belt every time I climb. I like being able to lean back into it when I need to. If you didn't have to go around branches you could move the girth hitch of the lifeline up the tree as you climbed but you are kinda going to be free climbing while you're doing it.

Most mobile hunters using sticks only use a linesman’s lanyard . Then switch over to a tethered lanyard. If I am climbing with spikes which I have not perfected I use a Buckingham Tree squeeze. (Look up on the Internet). A linesman lanyard is a positioning tool only. You can slide down the tree and get busted up. You should always be tied off twice. So when you are climbing, using your tether attached is a good idea. A lot of guys will tell you if you if is not needed. However, they have not taken the nest tea plunge like I and others have. **minus the ice tea**

It takes more time yo climb with your tether attached, but that is the only way you are truly tied in.

I generally climb with a linemans and tether in when things get sketchy. I.e. leaning trees, aiders up high, cold/wet/icy conditions, etc. I feel that sorta situational awareness is the best approach.

Having the right gear for your climbing style and level of fitness/coordination is most important.

Second is practicing with your gear in the offseason so that you’re cool under the pressure of running late, bumping deer, mad at a missed shot and not paying attention, get a call from home and have to rush, etc...

You want the movements you’re doing in the tree to be second nature. And you want protection that matches you.

I feel comfortable wearing a lineman’s only while climbing. But I do not let my linesman’s belt go loose without both hands around tree. If I am going to do anything that requires this, I’ll hook my tether up. Will also always hook tether up to go over a branch. I also make sure to pull myself into the tree as close as possible when I’m tying on a step or stick, or any other motion that requires both hands.

Like red said, climbing comes with inherent risk. If you have good ropes and climbing equipment, are practiced and skilled in their use, and focus on the task at hand, you’ll eliminate the lions share of the risk...

Back