• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

climbing spurs

Archer19422

this is my first year hunting from a tree saddle i have been thinking about using climbing spurs would like to hear some other hunters thoughts about it

Lots of threads on here about it over the years - did you search for them and read up? Good place to start.

Here is my opinion ...spurs are very light, compact and a safe...they are a very quick & quiet method of climbing to hunting height...The learning curve isnt nearly as steep as you may think...they easy to work of while installing your platform...you can climb down or be a badass and rappel...rappelling is a blast, safe and fast!...Here in NY we can use them on public land (which is a miracle because NY is run by commy Nazis)...I have been making maple syrup for over 20 years ...we bore a 1/2" hole 1 1/2" deep and put a tap in it...after syrup season is done we just pull the taps and the tree heals itself...we have tapped the same trees for over 20 years with zero damage to the trees...also I have huntes from a climber for over 20 years out of a number of the same trees ever year...some of them have the bark gone in spots from the agressive teeth in the climber...the trees are still healthy and alive ...these are just my experiences and opinions from my experiences...I am not a tree scientist or anything like that...I am not nearly as young and agile as I once was but have no trouble at all using spurs to climb the trees I use to hunt...just my 2 cents worth...btw...I have used aluminum spurs and like em so much I am investing in a set of Kiwi Carbons...the aluminums are almost 5 lbs per pair and the carbons are 3 lbs per pair...good luck in making a decision...1 thing is for sure...it is by far the lightest and most compact method of climbing to platform height!...PEACE!

Here is my opinion ...spurs are very light, compact and a safe...they are a very quick & quiet method of climbing to hunting height...The learning curve isnt nearly as steep as you may think...they easy to work of while installing your platform...you can climb down or be a badass and rappel...rappelling is a blast, safe and fast!...Here in NY we can use them on public land (which is a miracle because NY is run by commy Nazis)...I have been making maple syrup for over 20 years ...we bore a 1/2" hole 1 1/2" deep and put a tap in it...after syrup season is done we just pull the taps and the tree heals itself...we have tapped the same trees for over 20 years with zero damage to the trees...also I have huntes from a climber for over 20 years out of a number of the same trees ever year...some of them have the bark gone in spots from the agressive teeth in the climber...the trees are still healthy and alive ...these are just my experiences and opinions from my experiences...I am not a tree scientist or anything like that...I am not nearly as young and agile as I once was but have no trouble at all using spurs to climb the trees I use to hunt...just my 2 cents worth...btw...I have used aluminum spurs and like em so much I am investing in a set of Kiwi Carbons...the aluminums are almost 5 lbs per pair and the carbons are 3 lbs per pair...good luck in making a decision...1 thing is for sure...it is by far the lightest and most compact method of climbing to platform height!...PEACE!
this is my first year hunting from a tree saddle i have been thinking about using climbing spurs would like to hear some other hunters thoughts about it
I also say give em a try at least because you can always sell em if you dont like em!...Peace

jimmi

They aren’t legal everywhere. They do damage trees but it is minor as long as you don’t climb the same tree over and over.
The biggest thing question I would as is how high do you hunt. If under 20’ I see no benefit to spurs. If hunting as high as 30’ nothing else comes close.

I am on your side so please don’t take this the wrong way, I gotta put this out there, I see no way spurs are legal on state land in NY, will a person ever get caught, probably not if your smart about it, some Rangers and Wardens definitely interpret laws differently than others and I understand one mite have told you it was but I would caution against posting on an open forum that they are legal and recommend anybody living here with the rest of us prisoners in NY to call you local Forest Ranger and ask him since he is the one you will be answering too if you get noticed, I was told no bark penetration, I know everbody leaves stands and crap everywhere on state land, just putting this out there to save somebody a future headache, this is not meant to derail the OPs thread and I hope it doesn’t, like I said I’m on your side.

Can you elaborate a little? May help decide, been thinking about trying them. Don't think I will ever ( or seldom) go over 20 feet.
I would like to use them for longer walks into the woods at 64 I want to carry as lite as possible

I am on your side so please don’t take this the wrong way, I gotta put this out there, I see no way spurs are legal on state land in NY, will a person ever get caught, probably not if your smart about it, some Rangers and Wardens definitely interpret laws differently than others and I understand one mite have told you it was but I would caution against posting on an open forum that they are legal and recommend anybody living here with the rest of us prisoners in NY to call you local Forest Ranger and ask him since he is the one you will be answering too if you get noticed, I was told no bark penetration, I know everbody leaves stands and crap everywhere on state land, just putting this out there to save somebody a future headache, this is not meant to derail the OPs thread and I hope it doesn’t, like I said I’m on your side.
Thank you I will look deeper into this...certainly zero offense taken...we all have to look out for each other

I have re-read the guidelines on the website and still dont see where it says no bark penetration...I see where you cant cut trees or make new paths by trimming and no structures can be built...if you could direct me to the site where it speaks about bark penetration I would greatly appreciate that...I have no desire to be in violation of any laws anywhere anytime...thanks again for having my back!

I would like to use them for longer walks into the woods at 64 I want to carry as lite as possible
agreed...I started using spurs this season...I am 55 and have no trouble climbing with them...the more you use them obviously the more secure you become but the learning curve is pretty easy...at our age patience and diligence is a must...lol...If I find they arent allowed on public land here in NY I will stick to private land ...but I cant see myself going back to a climber or to using climbing sticks and aiders after using spurs...just my humble opinion

I was told that by my local Forest Ranger, give yours a call, pick your region off the directory on the NYSDEC website and call either your local Ranger or Warden, they will answer all your questions, and when you say ”public” land I am assuming you mean State owned or managed property including Conservation Easement land, Town and County land probably has different laws or it’s own rules. I have used spurs for work about 25 years, I own a professional tree service business, I prefer sticks for hunting, maybe spurs during hunting season remind me of work too much!

I have re-read the guidelines on the website and still dont see where it says no bark penetration...I see where you cant cut trees or make new paths by trimming and no structures can be built...if you could direct me to the site where it speaks about bark penetration I would greatly appreciate that...I have no desire to be in violation of any laws anywhere anytime...thanks again for having my back!
Google 190.8 NYSDEC ,section G , I believe this is the law they were referencing when I was told no spurs, ”defacing trees”, the marks left on the bark is there problem is my opinion, like I said earlier best to call yours that works your area, best of luck!

If I’m climbing to 20’ that’s four short sticks with a moveable one step aider. At 20’ it takes about the same amount of time to climb and setup. You’ll save a couple pounds with spurs but that’s it. 20’ is kind of my break even point. Anything over 20 and spurs become a big advantage. At that point I have to either carry more sticks or use multi step aiders. I also use a ring of steps platform most of the time which adds challenges to putting on spurs before climbing down. It’s not that difficult but not as easy as on a platform.

Google 190.8 NYSDEC ,section G , I believe this is the law they were referencing when I was told no spurs, ”defacing trees”, the marks left on the bark is there problem is my opinion, like I said earlier best to call yours that works your area, best of luck!
thanks man...I will ck it out

I love my spurs - I can climb 20 + ft in just a few minutes - I believe coming down is just as easy...cant really beat that

Side Note- I am also from NY and have always been under the impression that they were illegal to use on public- I never even really bothered to look just sorta figured they were since everything is illegal here lol. It would be a game changer if they were confirmed to be legal for me. Im going to start digging into that myself as well.

I love my spurs - I can climb 20 + ft in just a few minutes - I believe coming down is just as easy...cant really beat that

Side Note- I am also from NY and have always been under the impression that they were illegal to use on public- I never even really bothered to look just sorta figured they were since everything is illegal here lol. It would be a game changer if they were confirmed to be legal for me. Im going to start digging into that myself as well.
yep...i also have climbed back down also and didnt find it difficult at all...but I started rappelling and find it so fun that its the "get down" method I use almost every time now...I have plenty of private land that I hunt here in NY so its worth it for me to have and use them...My wife says I look for things like a man and thats why I cant find anything...lol...I have looked into if its legal here and was surprised that I couldnt find it to be illegal ...because like you said EVERYTHING is illegal in NYS unless you are part of the Cuomo mafioso...but then again i have the reputation of not being able to find things on my own!...

On a side note...our deer herd here in NYS is being controlled by Corporate Insurance Companies...has nothing to do whatsoever with conservation or herd health...its ALL about the money!

where in NY are you?...Im in Dansville Springwater area

Back