• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing to prep some trees? Stay on lineman's or tether?

LiverEatingJoe

I have a tree or two I want prep just for practice shooting and some for next season. I figure I can climb up with my Wolf sticks and so some sawing but wonder if any of you guys go ahead and tether instead? Sounds like it might be more mobile to reach around for branches but harder to get stable leverage for sawing.

I always have both with me, and use whichever will make the current task easier. Sometimes I set a lock-on for a hunting partner that can’t/won’t do the saddle thing, and I’ve found that the lineman’s belt gets in the way, so I use the tether. For setting a ring of screw-in steps, I just stay on my LB. just take both and use whatever makes the most sense for your needs at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tether in. You don’t want a branch hitting you and making you slide down the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried a linemans belt several times. It just didn't work in my system. I just use my tether.

I do a lot of early season squirrel hunting wearing my kestrel and carrying my carbon bolts. I can usually prep a tree with just a linemans if I find one I like while I'm out. But a tether weighs next to nothing and provides additional security if something starts getting gnarly.

Back