• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing Transition

cliffordBRT

Am I the only one who puts their platform directly above their last step? I believe the "safest" method is to offset the steps and the platform 90 degrees, but I don't think I'd get as good of a bite with the platform.

I usually offset my Predator about 45 degrees, gets it out of the way of my top WE stepp but not so far that’s it’s difficult to step onto.

I do something similar, I put my predator 45-90 degrees from my last step of my stick. Usually about a foot or two higher and to the left but that depends on direction of setup (deer movement) and lean of tree if there is any.

I like to ONE STICK...when I'm at height, I stand on my stick and place my stand about 1-2 feet above where my feet are. If I'm using my muddy then the same...however since this year I'll be using the shikar mini, I will still put it at the same distance. After placing my platform, I then take my three folding steps/strap with OCB buckle and place one step on the left, right and behind my stand. That way I can move safely around the tree.

I'm with you. I hang the Predator about knee height dead above my last step. I transition from the linesman to the tether before I step up in case something should slip. I use my knees to hold the platform in front of me so I have two hands free to set the strap.

My last step is always about 8 inches ABOVE the platform and slightly offset from the platform.
That last step allows me to step off the platform if needed during the hunt and get around the tree a little. It also acts as a foot rest to adjust positioning during long hangs...it improves comfort to be able to occasionally put a foot up above the platform.
I see no benefit in having steps directly below the platform. And, if anything, it makes it a little awkward going from the last step to the platform.

My platform when I use sticks is at the same level as my top step and 90 degrees to the side. I tether in and then step on to the platform if I'm not advancing the tether up the tree as I climb.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I try to put the platform at the same height or a little below the top step on my weak side at 45 to 90 degrees rotation. Back in the tree stand days, I was taught to always step down from your climbing system onto your platform as a safety best practice. With the saddle, I always connect into the tether before stepping on the platform so I’ve adapted that rule a little. I like having the stick at the same level offset from the stick so I can use it as a step when rotating around the tree for a week side shot.

Back