• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing utility poles

Oldforester

Hey y’all. I’ve seen a few folks on here posting pics of themselves “practicing” on power/telephone poles. I’m kinda new here and Maybe it’s been discussed before And I’m Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but as a Utility worker I feel I should point out that it’s not a good idea to climb utility poles. Especially if there’s power overhead. Those down guys and any strand are eventually bonded and grounded somewhere (usually right there) to the power company’s grid. Or there could just be a downed tree limb or something laying on the power and the telephone/cable company’s strand. In the event that they become energized and you touch something up there that’s hot... IT CAN KILL YOU!! Or you will wish you were dead. Sorry I’m not trying to tell people what to do but you don’t understand what you’re messing with. And that stuff doesn’t have to be hissing and popping like in the movies. It can just be sitting there, energized and waiting on a ground. And that ground could be you if you touch it!! Just thought I’d throw that out there. Be safe and happy huntin!

I only set something at ground level to see how it works. I don't climb the poles. I can't remember a post where someone said they did.

I only set something at ground level to see how it works. I don't climb the poles. I can't remember a post where someone said they did.
I’ve seen pics guys have taken and they’re obviously up a utility pole. They might not say they’re on a utility pole but all you have to do is look at the pic. One just yesterday, actually, which is what prompted my post. I didn’t say I’ve seen it a lot . Again, people can do what they want. I just feel like this forum has always been (since I’ve been on here at least) about being safe. And if I can keep just one guy from going up a utility pole and blowing his arms and legs off from contacting power, then I think it’s worth bringing up. And ask any lineman and he’ll tell you the same thing. I stand by my statement. You climb utility poles and you’re just asking for trouble. You can do what you want. Happy huntin

Guys the ground runs all the way to the bottom of the pole.If something happens on the line and there is a fault You do not want to be on it.The ground is hooked to the neutral on every pole.When there is a fault on the line electricity takes any and all paths to ground.Wrong place wrong time could spell trouble.

Guys the ground runs all the way to the bottom of the pole.If something happens on the line and there is a fault You do not want to be on it.The ground is hooked to the neutral on every pole.When there is a fault on the line electricity takes any and all paths to ground.Wrong place wrong time could spell trouble.
Wouldn't someone just leaning against the pole talkng to a neighbor be under equal danger?

I am sure there is no ground wire running down the pole I used. There is one a few poles up the street.

When I finally stated saddle hunting I used a barn pole in the loft to practice

da0d4c51514f5b887ddd452c0dadd53f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When I finally stated saddle hunting I used a barn pole in the loft to practice

da0d4c51514f5b887ddd452c0dadd53f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Do you have an electric light fixture attached to that pole? If so, be careful. And remember not to fall off the pole, as well. :grinning:

Hey y’all. I’ve seen a few folks on here posting pics of themselves “practicing” on power/telephone poles. I’m kinda new here and Maybe it’s been discussed before And I’m Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but as a Utility worker I feel I should point out that it’s not a good idea to climb utility poles. Especially if there’s power overhead. Those down guys and any strand are eventually bonded and grounded somewhere (usually right there) to the power company’s grid. Or there could just be a downed tree limb or something laying on the power and the telephone/cable company’s strand. In the event that they become energized and you touch something up there that’s hot... IT CAN KILL YOU!! Or you will wish you were dead. Sorry I’m not trying to tell people what to do but you don’t understand what you’re messing with. And that stuff doesn’t have to be hissing and popping like in the movies. It can just be sitting there, energized and waiting on a ground. And that ground could be you if you touch it!! Just thought I’d throw that out there. Be safe and happy huntin!

My favorite location is an old public land abandoned farmstead. It has several apple and oak trees and an old abandoned utility pole very near them. Unbelievably no one else seems to ever hunt this place. Although it is a mile off the road and requires a creek crossing to get to it. Prime southern Iowa location. Found this place 30 years ago.......I am all over that utility pole. My current utility pole project.A0219A50-1954-4E8B-9CAA-F454572EA70A.jpeg

I did this a few days ago in the local park. This pole has no connections anymore. In fact, I unscrewed an old insulator on video during this climb. This is my 3rd time one sticking ever and my first time this year just for fun. I normally hunt SRT.

You never know what you have with an open down ground. Transformers ,capacitors, imbalance load can all send voltage and amps to any path to ground. If you dont know what your dealing with your taking a risk. Stay safe,

I second this. I work in a utility company, and it is amazing how many malfunctioned pieces of equipment can be on a pole and leaking voltage to ground (assuming everything is grounded properly, or that the ground wire is still intact), and how often this goes undetected. It is also amazing how fast that pole can become energized. We have had multiple poles over time just go up in flames.

Good advice fellow lineman. I'll throw something else in there to think about...... Those old abandoned poles might look safe, but they might be rotten underground where you can't see it. Dig down about a foot and with a hammer, test it with a large screw driver before climbing. Had a guy at work years ago that skipped this step, halfway up it fell with him, broke his back. On the flip side, I've seen poles from the 50's that were solid as a rock. Just be careful guys.

Back