• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing with only foot stirrups

HappyChappy

SH Member
Not sure if anyone else has tried this, but I went out today after a visit to the hardware store and put together what might become my new lightweight climbing method. I used webbing (fall restraint harness relief strap) foot loops, which are attached with a piece of 8mm accessory cord (overkill but what I had lying around). I suspended the foot strap from a lone wolf cam buckle strap that was girth hitched onto a ratchet strap hook. To attach the foot stirrups to the lw strap, I used a 5/16” stainless steel quick link (rated for over 1500#) which I hung from the ring of the ratchet hook. To climb I sat back in my RC harness (still waiting on saddle to get here), raised my feet and lifted the lw strap, then stood up in my stirrups and lifted my tether.
All in all, the RC harness is not comfortable climbing this way, but the saddle should change that. Climbing will take practice to become efficient with it...I guess time will tell. This is definitely do at your own risk, and I am not recommending this method or modifying equipment, just wanted to share what I have found. Any thoughts?
bb49430ebafffc9cb99412e2c2cc563b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please replace that hook with a rated tri link.

Thanks, I’ll look into that. Not really worried about failure or bending. I’m always secured to the tree regardless.

as long as you are tethered in you will be fine with something rated at 800lbs or above. That's what most cam buckles are rated at.

Been tried. I think most guys thought it just ended up being to much work. Sam, noxninja, Justsomedude to name a few. I have done it a couple of times. When I just carried my saddle, stir ups and ROS deep in to the woods on hunting/ scouting missions.

Cool set up. Keep posting as you play with the set up or if you ditch it.

Back