• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Climbing with tether vs lineman’s belt

Jeff25

So right now I’m using a rock climbing harness with a sit drag but am planning on buying a mantis soon. Right now with the rock harness I’m climbing with my tether like you would with the one stick method. Can you do this with a mantis? 1) because using a tether you can’t slide down the tree if you fell, unlike a lineman’s belt. 2) it would be one less rope to carry in.
So can you just attach the tether up above your head and clip into your bridge and in the sitting position hang a stick, climb up and repeat?

So right now I’m using a rock climbing harness with a sit drag but am planning on buying a mantis soon. Right now with the rock harness I’m climbing with my tether like you would with the one stick method. Can you do this with a mantis? 1) because using a tether you can’t slide down the tree if you fell, unlike a lineman’s belt. 2) it would be one less rope to carry in.
So can you just attach the tether up above your head and clip into your bridge and in the sitting position hang a stick, climb up and repeat?
Yes, without a problem.

Until you get to a branch.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Until you get to a branch.

You would have to disconnect a lineman’s belt to go over a branch as well.
Like I said it’s the method I’ve been using with my rock harness for 3 years so I’m used to it

You would have to disconnect a lineman’s belt to go over a branch as well.
Like I said it’s the method I’ve been using with my rock harness for 3 years so I’m used to it
That's why I carry two "tethers". The first post made it sound like you only need one rope to climb a tree.

You can get away with only one rope if you use a 2-in-1 lanyard. The following shows a video which of course we modify with ropeman 1s and lighter carabiners for weight and ease of use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After searching YouTube for lineman belt falls, a lineman belt seems more of a hands free device than a safety device. Those guys still hit the ground. Might have to use my tether or figure out a way to make a buck squeeze.

After searching YouTube for lineman belt falls, a lineman belt seems more of a hands free device than a safety device. Those guys still hit the ground. Might have to use my tether or figure out a way to make a buck squeeze.

Yes, I just do not trust a linemans belt with my life. Iv had sticks kick out, foot kick out on an aider, and boot slip on a wet step.

Having a linemans belt stop the fall or even slow it down is X10 better than a backwards free fall to a sudden stop.

This is why I only use tethers and no lineman's belt. Dangling and don't feel as constricted when trying to work with both hands.

How are you using the tether? seems safer than a linemans belt. I prep all my trees with tree steps so I assume just move the tether up as I climb?

A lineman’s belt is used in an effort to stabilize you and allow to be hands free and work, not prevent a fall. As stated, falling with a lineman’s belt usually ends up with a better result for the climber than no belt.

A tether is designed to prevent a fall.

Rock climbing harnesses are designed to be tied into dynamic rope in a system that allows for give in the chain so it absorbs energy from a fall.

The tethers 99.99% of us use are not dynamic, they are static. They do not stretch - meaning you will feel the entire force of your fall. It doesn’t take more than a couple feet to generate a force strong enough to make you regret falling.

My advice would be that a tether used as fall restraint is not a bad idea - given you understand how important it is to keep it above you, and minimize slack in the system at all times- even if it means taking an extra 35 seconds each time you climb.

However, one tool doesn’t replace another. If you don’t want stability while climbing(you really need to consider that the name of the game is minimizing opportunities for falling - ie stability), and just want to prevent you from falling, tether will do that job. If you want stability and fall prevention, tether and lineman’s are both needed. There is a tool that combines function, called a tree squeeze. It may fit your style.

I personally use a lineman’s, and do not hook up tether during a climb, save for two circumstances: a step or move that requires me to extend beyond my comfort zone in the lineman’s, setting up at height on my platform.

Having said that - I use a lineman’s belt properly, and climb very slowly and carefully. I cannot imagine how people climb without them as it makes things incredibly efficient. But I understand we all come atthis from different perspectives.

Understanding what each tool is for, and the risks in using them, is imperative to making the right choice for you. Assuming they do things they cannot is what puts you at the base of the tree faster than you intended!

Last edited:
It is harder with the Mantis because you have to keep unloading and loading the bridge and it’s just not as clean for lack of better words.

How are you using the tether? seems safer than a linemans belt. I prep all my trees with tree steps so I assume just move the tether up as I climb?

Yes, just girth hitch with the tether. Then lossen and slide it up the tree and retighten

A lineman’s belt is used in an effort to stabilize you and allow to be hands free and work, not prevent a fall. As stated, falling with a lineman’s belt usually ends up with a better result for the climber than no belt.

A tether is designed to prevent a fall.

Rock climbing harnesses are designed to be tied into dynamic rope in a system that allows for give in the chain so it absorbs energy from a fall.

The tethers 99.99% of us use are not dynamic, they are static. They do not stretch - meaning you will feel the entire force of your fall. It doesn’t take more than a couple feet to generate a force strong enough to make you regret falling.

My advice would be that a tether used as fall restraint is not a bad idea - given you understand how important it is to keep it above you, and minimize slack in the system at all times- even if it means taking an extra 35 seconds each time you climb.

However, one tool doesn’t replace another. If you don’t want stability while climbing(you really need to consider that the name of the game is minimizing opportunities for falling - ie stability), and just want to prevent you from falling, tether will do that job. If you want stability and fall prevention, tether and lineman’s are both needed. There is a tool that combines function, called a tree squeeze. It may fit your style.

I personally use a lineman’s, and do not hook up tether during a climb, save for two circumstances: a step or move that requires me to extend beyond my comfort zone in the lineman’s, setting up at height on my platform.

Having said that - I use a lineman’s belt properly, and climb very slowly and carefully. I cannot imagine how people climb without them as it makes things incredibly efficient. But I understand we all come atthis from different perspectives.

Understanding what each tool is for, and the risks in using them, is imperative to making the right choice for you. Assuming they do things they cannot is what puts you at the base of the tree faster than you intended!

Yes it is important to keep the tether tight that’s why I loosen it and move it up with every step I go up so i can’t fall more than a few inches

I use my XOP Hand climber with a tether but try real hard to make sure I move it up and never have slack in the system for the reasons previously stated.

For some of my climbing methods I've been using my "poor man's tree squeeze" it works really well, Blake's hitch tied on one side of my lineman belt and a locking carabiner or delta screw(preferred).

I've also heard of folks using their lineman belt but bring it around the tree then make an x in front of you never tried it myself.20180630_161959.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As a kid I used to climb trees with no ropes... I know a bad idea. I am 60 years old - climbing with a lineman's belt is risky but likely not a threat to my life and most things involve risk anyway. A lineman's belt will prevent the worst type of fall. Falling backward off the tree. Sliding down a tree with a lineman's belt on will likely hurt but not maim and kill.
As stated a dynamic fall with a tether on will hurt too. Risk free hunting? Don't climb a tree or handle a weapon. Risk free driving - don't drive. Risk free farming - don't farm.

A flingin X with your lineman's belt will be almost as good as using a tether with no risk of a dynamic fall using static rope.
Climbing with a lineman's belt reduces risk but does not eliminate it.

After watching the videos of people sliding down poles and hitting the ground, seems the linemans belt purpose in a fall is to ensure you get gutted by one of your steps on the way down.
yup not without risk... That could happen. I think most of the videos I have seen where people slide down the pole is while using spurs and climbing quickly. Using your lineman's belt in an x in front of you will prevent a long fall - I have used the flingin x method and it is simple and works. Most of the time I just use the lineman's belt as intended.

Last edited:
yup not without risk... That could happen. I think most of the videos I have seen where people slide down the pole is while using spurs and climbing quickly. Using your lineman's belt in an x in front of you will prevent a long fall -

I used a prusik loop and biner today, think that will work well. Of course I climbed the tree from hell today....shady bark SOB. What a pain!!!!

Back