• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Clouded Leopard Camo Hoodie Review

Nutterbuster

SH Member
@cloudedleopard kindly sent me this hoody in the summer without me asking, which was very nice of him. I let everybody know that I wouldn't be reviewing it in 100 degree weather, but as it's cooled I've worn it out and about town and while creek fishing and scouting. Today I had my first sit of the season, and connected on a public land doe on the ground at 20 yards. So, review time.

Let's get this out of the way first.

No, I won't be buying leather pants to go with it. Yes, I will definitely wear raybans more often in the future. A matching leopard skin pillbox hat? A distinct possibility.

This camo, first and foremost, will up your groovy factor by orders of magnitude. Ask yourself if you can get with that vibe. Squares won't dig it. Every single person who has seen me in my hoody has aired their thoughts on it. You either get a kick out of being "that guy" or you don't.

If you take yourself seriously, this aint for you. Keep wearing whatever digital swirly blob camo that the western big game hunters have made trendy. I'm sure that if they told you it's "scientifically designed" on their podcast, it's true. Or, if you want to feel Fred Bear moving in you, wear some carefully mismatched combo of second-hand flannel and treebark camo. Or wear (if you're part of the great unwashed) whatever RealMossyTreeOak pattern WalzMart has on the shelves next to the bait blocks and packs of Rage broadheads. It'll make you invisible in more ways than one, normie.

This isn't just camouflage, it's counterculture. It's the anti-camo. It's a cheerful but defiant laugh in the face of an industry so up its own butt that it can't see the humor innate to a group of 40-60yo WEIRD men pretending to be Squanto for the day and paying out the wazoo to do so. This camo is Dylan going electric after being put into the "prophet of a generation" box, and then recording a country album after folks took that seriously too. It's Frida Kahlo's unibrow. It's Frank Zappa and the Mother's "lip synching" at Greenwich Village in '67. It's Warhol painting a can of Campbell's.

(deep breath)

Ok. Seriously.

It's a hoody. It has a big hood. It has a nice hoody pocket. It's made of polartech fleece. It's soft. It's fairly warm. It's quiet. It's comfortable. It seems well-stitched. If you like hoodies, this is a good one. I think a good hoody is about the handiest piece of clothing you can have if you live south of Nashville, or hunt during bow season anywhere.

The camo itself is (and I say this in complete earnestness) very good. It's a better ASAT. It LOOKS loud when you put in on in your living room. But get it in the swamps, hardwoods, pine rows, or cutovers; tuck into a little cover; and you disappear. No, it's not too light. It's not too yellow. It works. The pattern has a pretty good track record of hiding large animals from other large animals in a variety of terrain. It will hide your butt too.

Does it work better than other patterns? I don't know. I've shot lots of deer on public land, from the ground or climbed less than 12ft, at less than 20 yards. I've worn everything from ghillie suits to white t-shirts to do so. I personally have come to like either lighter colored, tannish solids, or big, open, lighter patterns. I feel like in most cases camo buys you the extra seconds you need to make a shot happen.

Today's deer had no clue I was there. It looked directly at me several times. She appeared to be a fairly large old doe, and the parcel I was hunting is open to gun deer season in one of the most populated counties in a state with higher than average active hunter percentages. I had a good wind, and was being still, and had a large tree for back cover, but aside from that was fairly exposed. I will continue to hunt with it as my primary outerwear this year until temperatures drop into the lower 30s. I'd be interested in having a piece made insulated with Primaloft or another good, technical insulation.

I'll post a few pics in the next post that kind of show the jacket in the field. Later this week, I'll try to record some video of me set up in a hunting scenario in some different biomes.

Why does this feel like just a natural completion of your system with hc mini, bone conduction headphones, pacseat, and now leopard hoody it all just seems right. The folks at the baitshop or local breakfast spot have probably already gotten accustomed to the kitty print and secretly wondered in there are some fishnets hiding under those wranglers. Seriously though I think it’s pretty cool and different

Do they have a website?

Why does this feel like just a natural completion of your system with hc mini, bone conduction headphones, pacseat, and now leopard hoody it all just seems right. The folks at the baitshop or local breakfast spot have probably already gotten accustomed to the kitty print and secretly wondered in there are some fishnets hiding under those wranglers. Seriously though I think it’s pretty cool and different
Fishnets are @ricky racer's thing. But he may talk me into them.

Nothing to do with clothes or camo but the cougar/panther/mountain lion/catamount/puma or whatever u wanna call it is the most widely dispersed/successful cat in our hemisphere....jungles, prairies, swamps, mountains.....not putting down the leopards spots at all. Just something to think about

Nothing to do with clothes or camo but the cougar/panther/mountain lion/catamount/puma or whatever u wanna call it is the most widely dispersed/successful cat in our hemisphere....jungles, prairies, swamps, mountains.....not putting down the leopards spots at all. Just something to think about
And people see 'em all the time, esp the black ones. :p

I see he is now offering pants to make a full suit and I am really impressed with the models he was able to land to show off his goods

You know you wanna lounge like the cool cats.
I legit think I am tempted to get them as lounge wear more than for hunting.... my wife would be mildly annoyed perhaps enough to justify the purchase and I don't think they would interact well with briars....

I wanna reiterate that I really do like the pattern. Yes, it makes you wanna hum Sharp Dressed Man. And that makes me happy. But it's also pretty impressive functionally. Outside of a slight fondness for the old 'Nam-era woodland pattern and Bottomlands just because those were my first hand-me-downs, I've never liked a camo pattern. They've all been dark blobs. After propping the hoody up against my fence line and backing off 20 yards, I was pretty shocked. I dig the groovy factor plenty. But I also like to think that I'm a results-first hunter (hence the mini and the chair), and to me the ole clouded leopard pattern is actually really functional.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the bed. My water bed. Missus Nutterbuster just turned on the lava lamp, which means I've got the greenlight fellas.

I wanna reiterate that I really do like the pattern. Yes, it makes you wanna hum Sharp Dressed Man. And that makes me happy. But it's also pretty impressive functionally. Outside of a slight fondness for the old 'Nam-era woodland pattern and Bottomlands just because those were my first hand-me-downs, I've never liked a camo pattern. They've all been dark blobs. After propping the hoody up against my fence line and backing off 20 yards, I was pretty shocked. I dig the groovy factor plenty. But I also like to think that I'm a results-first hunter (hence the mini and the chair), and to me the ole clouded leopard pattern is actually really functional.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the bed. My water bed. Missus Nutterbuster just turned on the lava lamp, which means I've got the greenlight fellas.
Uhhh I think we all know those lamps take at least 45 minutes to heat up and we know you don't have that in you

I’ve been preaching this very same thing for years most of the camo out there is made to look good to us humans in what we think camo should be. I like this pattern idea because it is a light and dark contrast which breaks up the human form. Great review.

Back