• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold weather clothing while hunting from a saddle

Flgunner

I’ve been trying to figure out what folks who hunt in saddle wear while hunting in cold weather. I’m used to doing all day sits in Ohio during November and seen some really cold temps there but I use a heater body suit from a lock on. I’d love to eliminate the bulk of the suit and go in light as I can but I’d like to keep warm doing it. I usually walk in wearing a scent lok savanna suit (pantsAnd jacket, no base layers) and only use the HBS over it. What works for y’all in cold temps. I’m not a wuss by no means with cold weather but I know I need a lil different approach to hunting in a saddle.

Some people hd their hbs modified to work with a tether going through it. Hope they will chime in.

I am a big fan of a good base layer. It makes all the difference for me. I haven't got to try it in the saddle yet. But I hunt in Michigan. Good base layers have helped me. Better clothing. Not more clothing for me.

Merino wool base layer. I use first lite. Some folks buy ninja suits. My saddle fits over my bibs, for really cold days I will throw my hill people gear mountain serape over my coat.

Biggest thing is making sure your lower back doesn't get exposed, and proper layering. No cotton. No sweating. Walk slow, carry less, climb slowly. If its too dang cold, stay on the ground.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

One piece insulated coveralls with chest hand warmer pockets. Pack them in and put on when you get to your spot just like your heater body suit. Works great for me.

Some people hd their hbs modified to work with a tether going through it. Hope they will chime in.
Yup works great. Never gave it a proper finish but will before it gets cold this year. You just need a spare bridge that has a carabiner on one side. All set up & then put on the suit & once you zip up to waist height just feed 2nd bridge through 2 slits on either side of zipper.

I use a IWOM. I use my saddle like a rock climbing harness far fall prevention, and go over top of the suit with either a fleece saddle or a sit drag. The iwom has a relief zipper that allows hookup.
663b3eb9653394016cff8fd5becb510d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I’m not familiar with the hbs but would it be possible to have the zipper modified so it’s dual pull like coveralls? One zipper pull on top and one on bottom. Then you could pull the hbs on over your saddle and zip the zips down toward the middle where the ropes are. Just a thought

I’m not familiar with the hbs but would it be possible to have the zipper modified so it’s dual pull like coveralls? One zipper pull on top and one on bottom. Then you could pull the hbs on over your saddle and zip the zips down toward the middle where the ropes are. Just a thought
You have to step into it it’s not the zipper coming up that gives you trouble. You need 2 vertical slits for the bridge hookup to come out. Tried initially on the outside of HBS, made my butt cold & was a lot of aggravation/ movement to adjust saddle. Another benefit of HBS is you can move your hands/arms inside the saddle ( I even keep my coffee in there). It’s money for cold weather. I know I sound like the spokesman but it works & less than a premium set of bibs & jacket.....

First off, I am going to look into the HBS idea.

But last season– these are just my opinions, nothing more - there are a few basics that I go by. I hunt Maine expanded thru Dec 10 ish, depending on the year (this year Dec 12 I believe) so I am not ultra cold weather, but last year I logged a few chilly days in the wind and snow. Windchill can be wicked.

1. Waterproof equals cold for me. So warm and waterproof don’t mix. Im a sweaty guy. Materials that insulate when wet equals good.
2. No idea why anyone would ever wear anything other than bibs. Welcome feedback. Welding, snowmobiling, tukey hunting, and saddle hunting— bibs keep my crack in the back warm when the temps drop.
3. Get a hand muff. I use a Sitka Incinerator. Bought used on eBay for $65. I don’t care about previous owner hand hygiene. Washed it, done. Hand muff equals lightweight or no gloves and great bow control.
4. If your feet are cold, nothing else is warm. Find boots you like.
5. If your head is cold, nothing else is warm. Find a hat you like.
6. Spend more money on your base layer than anything else (or just keep the money flowing). It’s like buying a good rife and skimping on glass. Don’t buy an awsome outer layer and wear junky cotton base layer.
7. $1600 flagship won’t do you any good if your cold and can‘t hunt. Cheap bows shoot fine in the cold. Spend money on things that give you more time in the saddle / stand.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You have to step into it it’s not the zipper coming up that gives you trouble. You need 2 vertical slits for the bridge hookup to come out. Tried initially on the outside of HBS, made my butt cold & was a lot of aggravation/ movement to adjust saddle. Another benefit of HBS is you can move your hands/arms inside the saddle ( I even keep my coffee in there). It’s money for cold weather. I know I sound like the spokesman but it works & less than a premium set of bibs & jacket.....
Ah I see. I was kinda thinking a fella could sorta force the loops toward each other to make a smaller gap in the zipper.

I hunt in the north end of Michigan's lower peninsula and I typically hunt right through Jan 1st so I typically see some pretty cold temps. The solution for me is wool pants or bibs (my personal preference) under the saddle. I wear them walking in with the saddle on over them. I pack all my upper layers in with me and put them on once I'm settled in the tree. Typically I walk in shirt sleeves (or maybe a sweatshirt if its really cold) and it keeps me cool enough to keep from sweating even with the bibs on. If I'm cold but not shivering standing at the truck getting ready I know I'll be okay once I start walking.

This.

That’s my mid season go to, complete overkill in HBS.

Ah I see. I was kinda thinking a fella could sorta force the loops toward each other to make a smaller gap in the zipper.
I played with that idea at first not wanting to modify it. You end up with way to big of an opening & the suit would no longer be effective. I’m going to improve the openings on mine & add some fleece as a flap & a couple magnets. Should get rid of any draft.

I layer with a heated vest and wool underwear and first lite bibs and coat. and alpaca socks and stay warm
In December in Ontario

That vest with some bibs & good wool is great! Your a better man than me, once it gets below freezing w/ any wind I’m in my HBS. I just fidget too much & have to wrestle with myself to stay in the tree otherwise......

Back