• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold weather gearing the cheap way

JBDaddy

For when your hunting clothes budget is more Amazon Essentials than Sitka. Ain't nothin wrong with that. How to winter-layer, cheap. May still end up getting a camo outer layer, but no need to spend huge bucks on what's under it, if money's tight.

Nothing cheaper than surplus wool. Pair with quality thermals and if necessary a windblocker and you can be hot in sub-zero temps.

I’ll spend $$$ to stay cool but there’s too much quality, cheap stuff to spend $$$ for a name on cold wx gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife bought me a Columbia Omni Heat puffer jacket for Christmas. She bought it used off eBay for about a 1/3 of new. Under a hoodie and inside a jacket it’s amazing. Wore it under a hoodie duck hunting in 9 degrees and never put my coat on.

There are a ton of small companies coming up that offer good stuff much cheaper. I’m a solid mix of cheap and top name. I still use a pair of clearance chamois pants I bought 25 years ago for $25. I also have Kuiu and Sitka in the mix.

Back