• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold weather saddle hunting. Cold feet?

1simplemann

SH Member
How cold have you saddle hunted? What your solution to cold feet? The reason I ask is here in MT it can get F'n cold here. Below 0 degree's kinda cold. Add the wind chill and it's hard to stay on stand. Here recently I started using Boot Blankets and putting a pas on my LW's so my feet don't touch the metal. They are kinda noisy but at least I now can stay on stand for few hours without my feet killing me. Since I started saddle hunting, we haven't had the really cold weather. I was thinking through my cold weather setup. Boot Blankets might be less than ideal. Any ideas? Electric socks?

Anti-perspirant
Roomy boots
Quality socks

If you’re going with the addition of boot blankets then cut back on the insulation factor in the boots.

Move to Mississippi

Anti-perspirant
Roomy boots
Quality socks

If you’re going with the addition of boot blankets then cut back on the insulation factor in the boots.

Move to Mississippi
How cold are your temps? They got elk in Mississippi?

I use slightly larger sized insulated boots. You want some room to wiggle those toes. Pair that up with some quality socks or two, and I use the adhesive body warmers instead of the toe warmers(because they are larger and stay in place)You could also use some of the newer products like rechargeable foot inserts or battery operated socks in addition but those are costly if you not using them on a regular basis. I’ve hunted in weather as low as -20 with windchill and have still been fairly comfortable as long as your other clothing is comparable. Good luck hope this helps. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of ideas!

I used to struggle with cold feet in tree stands. In the saddle my feet don’t really get cold. If anatomy holds true here then leaning in a saddle would provide much more circulation than sitting in a tree stand. So maybe your feet won’t get cold in the saddle.

I used to struggle with cold feet in tree stands. In the saddle my feet don’t really get cold. If anatomy holds true here then leaning in a saddle would provide much more circulation than sitting in a tree stand. So maybe your feet won’t get cold in the saddle.
Hopefully your right. It took me years to figure out that it was my feet touching the stand that was a big part of the problem. In 15 below, the best I could hope for was 2-2 1/2 hours. When I made the adjustment to a stand pad and the Blankets I could sit all day IF dressed properly up top. I haven't hunted yet in sub zero cold temps in a saddle yet. However, as they say in GoT, Winter is Coming! I want to be ready. Hopefully I get some cold weather saddle feedback.

How cold are your temps? They got elk in Mississippi?

I don’t live in MS, lol, that was more of a jealous, “boo hoo, you live in MT so suck it up”.

With that being said, I don’t want to live in MT because you riparian laws suck and it’s cold, but if you follow the real advice I gave your feet should be fine.

I don’t live in MS, lol, that was more of a jealous, “boo hoo, you live in MT so suck it up”.

With that being said, I don’t want to live in MT because you riparian laws suck and it’s cold, but if you follow the real advice I gave your feet should be fine.
I'm not sure what our riparian laws are but if they suck then I'll take your word for it. What is a riparian law anyway? LOL You shouldn't knock MT. I live here because there are only 1 million people in huge state that has world class hunting & fishing for a variety of species. Back in my home state, there were 20 million people crammed in this little state the size of one county here in MT. It seemed like there was an idiot in every tree. I once killed a buck that was 3 shot times in the same morning! My shot being the last of course!

You’re making my point for me

Riparian laws are ownership of water, basically. Or more specifically, the land under the water.

Back