• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cold weather saddle hunting

DXTJOE

Brand new guy here, love this forum. My fear with saddle hunting for myself is how fast i lose the use of my hands when it gets cold. I've have countless times over the years of struggling to do anything with my hands at the end of a hunt. So I try to imagine all the little things you do from packing up, undoing ropes & sticks (maybe rappelling) without gloves. Yes gloves would be ideal but I'm not so sure i could half those things with gloves on. How do you guys handle this situation? Thanks
I know alot of guys dont get that cold but I'm not one of them.

Brand new guy here, love this forum. My fear with saddle hunting for myself is how fast i lose the use of my hands when it gets cold. I've have countless times over the years of struggling to do anything with my hands at the end of a hunt. So I try to imagine all the little things you do from packing up, undoing ropes & sticks (maybe rappelling) without gloves. Yes gloves would be ideal but I'm not so sure i could half those things with gloves on. How do you guys handle this situation? Thanks
I know alot of guys dont get that cold but I'm not one of them.
my biggest tip would be practice with your sticks and setup to become as efficient as possible. The better your efficiency the less exposure your hands have.

Also, I use the large size shake up hand warmers. When its really cold and i have my boy along I have this tiny primus lantern that runs on a small camp fuel. That thing jams heat, takes about 30 seconds to set up and can be a game changer.

Your hands get cold because of poor circulation. This is caused by either something wrong with your health, or because you're cold, and your body pools blood in your core, and constricts blood flow to your extremities. Either is fixed by raising your overall body temperature. A proper layering system, and wind protection is in order. Assuming you have enough layers of the right stuff, properly fitted, your body will think it's warm out, and will not constrict blood flow to the extremities. Being dry before you layer up helps as well. Hand warmers on kidneys and chest are helpful.

Everyone is different obviously. But I suspect most folks who are cold natured, and complain about these issues, are also not dressing properly. My father is one of these people. It was a constant issue when we fish together, until I got him in the right clothes. Now a thin pair of gloves to knock the wind is all it takes while running the boat. Once fishing, finger and hand movement is enough to keep them warm, because his body is warm. You're likely one of these people. Get the right clothes, and the right amount of them. If you feel warm, your hands will be fine. If you feel cold, your body will sense it and it's too late - gloves won't help you.

This isn't to say that you don't lose heat through your hands, feet, and head. You do. But it all goes together. Your extremities can tolerate a lot more cold if your entire body is warm.

I actually have an idea for this year, that I will likely make and try out tomorrow or this weekend. I live in Mississippi so it’s not cold by any stretch of the imagination, so my “test” will just be wether or not I can noticed a difference.

I use a hand muff hand warmer, not wind proof, stuffed with the little hand warmers when it’s ‘cold’ (40’s for me). And it works just fine for me usually, except for when the wind is blowing. Well I had an idea. A couple years ago I made some insoles from some reflectix. They work absolutely fantastic at keeping my feet warm. Well, I want to take a piece of reflectix and basically make a cylinder with it and stuff it into my hand muff. It’s soft and flexible so it shouldn’t make me feel like I have a half gallon of milk attached to my waist. 1) it will block the wind from robbing heat from my little Hot Hands. 2) I feel like it will only take 1 Hot Hands in place of 3 or 4.

Now with all that said, I believe the issue of hearing the blood is superior to this. BUT, I try and keep my gloves to absolute minimum, like the little thin liner gloves. The muff usually does good enough as a place to warm my hands up real quick after I’ve had them exposed for long periods of time (holding my bow while waiting for a shot, etc), but I can’t imagine how good it would work with a little reflectix in there!

Anyways, if you use a muff, maybe give that a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I layer up good which makes me wonder if its a circulation problem. I can't imagine climbing & setting up in a saddle with all the crap i have on sometimes in brutal cold LOL . Then I fear I'm stuck up there when my hands freeze up, I'm a mess.

Does the reflectix make noise?

Very very little. And once you kinda wrinkle it up and ‘wear it in’ a little, it’s pretty quiet. I don’t think the noise would be noticeable inside the muff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back