• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Colorado OTC Archery is Gone 2025

knew this was coming when they started closing down OTC archery units, no way to sell the same amount or more permits to less open units without creating a cascade effect

Yep. It’s been a long time coming and needed. I think rifle will go away by 2030.

Hm I guess this is a good reason I never got around to buying preference points? Or will they carry over to these draws as well? Or archery will be separate? The western rules always seem to be a bit confusing, particularly when they keep changing

Still in the planning and purchasing phase for my first OTC elk in CO for September, so excited but this news has me a bit worried for upcoming years. Oh well, the only constant is change and adaptation is part of the game.
Might have to just move out there and become a resident, lol.

Still in the planning and purchasing phase for my first OTC elk in CO for September, so excited but this news has me a bit worried for upcoming years. Oh well, the only constant is change and adaptation is part of the game.
Might have to just move out there and become a resident, lol.
To stay within our parameters here, I would suggest you take a hard look at the other aspects of living in that state before you start shopping for a spot to land.

You should always put on for the point.
Points will be able to be used for draws. The game will change a bit but it’s just figuring it out.

Exactly, I almost expect to have a little more opportunity, or at least wouldn't be surprised. I half expect there will be a percentage of folks who don't want to deal with the draw process and just won't go or are not tech savvy and do poor research and put in for random hard to draw or very poor units. People that are willing to do a couple hours' worth of research will be able to find decent hunts every year or almost every year. I'm on my 6th year in a row (minus one year buying a house and getting married) between CO and NM. Drew a CO muzzleloader rut tag this year in a unit I am pretty familiar with. Looking forward to that.

Exactly, I almost expect to have a little more opportunity, or at least wouldn't be surprised. I half expect there will be a percentage of folks who don't want to deal with the draw process and just won't go or are not tech savvy and do poor research and put in for random hard to draw or very poor units. People that are willing to do a couple hours' worth of research will be able to find decent hunts every year or almost every year. I'm on my 6th year in a row (minus one year buying a house and getting married) between CO and NM. Drew a CO muzzleloader rut tag this year in a unit I am pretty familiar with. Looking forward to that.
Isn't this why we have unpaid interns? To do the legwork and handle the details?

The new regs could go either way. If they a lot too many in the units, it defeats the purpose. It could improve hunting tremendously if done right.
I agree & am not upset in the least if I can have a better hunt every 2-3 years vs an ok hunt every year. There are other western states & you can still have a quality elk hunt every year or every other year at the very least if you rotate a few states into your strategy!!
All depends on proper execution of the plan for Colorado with this change for NR hunters. Plus I want to see residents have improved quality as well!!!

I like your optimism. I think its more likely that it will cause point creep to take a slightly bigger jump than usual next year as a lot of the OTC hunters will apply for the easier to draw units but, I hope you're right.

I like your optimism. I think its more likely that it will cause point creep to take a slightly bigger jump than usual next year as a lot of the OTC hunters will apply for the easier to draw units but, I hope you're right.

That's certainly a possibility I wouldn't want to dismiss as well.

I guess my thoughts came from trying to remember that humans are inherently lazy and currently there is ample opportunity if you don't mind the homework. It is certainly optimistic, possibly even a best-case scenario. I have hunted a couple units before and after they became draw and found I could draw the tags with zero points and there were fewer hunters at the main trailheads.

That's certainly a possibility I wouldn't want to dismiss as well.

I guess my thoughts came from trying to remember that humans are inherently lazy and currently there is ample opportunity if you don't mind the homework. It is certainly optimistic, possibly even a best-case scenario. I have hunted a couple units before and after they became draw and found I could draw the tags with zero points and there were fewer hunters at the main trailheads.
I'm guardedly hopeful too. I've been dragging my feet about an OTC archery elk hunt out there and looks like I will have to play the game to get drawn. It is what it is though.

Last edited:
Colorado has a ton of hunt codes. The way it’s looking now is that a NR should be able to draw something every year if they choose. However, the commission is pushing using points on any tag drawn. This would smash the system and building points. So, if you draw your fourth choice, points are gone. That maybe coming next year as well and will be both resident (except otc) and NR.

I don’t like it at all. The commission talks about point creep in almost every meeting. This plans makes it extremely difficult to go on some good hunts and maybe save for a premium unit. I have buddies that are 20 years in and close to our top areas. In that time they have been able to get some really good tags while saving points. That will be near impossible if they take points for every draw tag.
BUT, we still get to hunt! Well, as of now. We are still fighting the mountain lion hunting ban.

I don’t like it at all. The commission talks about point creep in almost every meeting. This plans makes it extremely difficult to go on some good hunts and maybe save for a premium unit. I have buddies that are 20 years in and close to our top areas. In that time they have been able to get some really good tags while saving points. That will be near impossible if they take points for every draw tag.
BUT, we still get to hunt! Well, as of now. We are still fighting the mountain lion hunting ban.
I do agree that it will have a negative impact for a short period for a few at the top of the point list but, for the vast majority I see it as a positive. It won't take long before you will be able to go to those top areas with way fewer than 20+ points.

I'm hopeful on the Mt Lion ban not even making it to the ballot. The fact they still didn't have enough signatures last I checked and had to resort to hiring companies to try to help get them shows the positive work CRWM has been doing!

I'm hopeful on the Mt Lion ban not even making it to the ballot. The fact they still didn't have enough signatures last I checked and had to resort to hiring companies to try to help get them shows the positive work CRWM has been doing!
I despise any attempt to use politics to control wildlife management choices. The only people in any state with any real clue what should or shouldn't happen in this area is your game and fish management agency. I know some will say that game and fish are clueless in their state, but I bet if you look at how the agency is structured there is too much sway given to elected officials who don't have any business being in charge of these decisions.

Back