• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Comfort and your method

Huntorbhunted

How many times up and down ground to platform or ROS did it take before you were totally comfortable doing it in the dark?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

It’s hard to say I’ve been using run & gun methods setting up & or breaking down in the dark for years. Depends on your preference but sticks in the dark are no issue after a couple practice runs. I use a small red headlamp at the tree so probably doesn’t matter which method. Spurs or stepps are really no big deal just get comfortable. There’s plenty of dark to practice w/ between now & opener.....

I spent 3 weeks practicing in my yard at low level on various size and angled trees. Then I went to altitude, up and down probably 2 weeks worth of practice before and night climb. I did maybe 10 night accent/decent trips before i was really confident. It might have been overkill, but with my DIY SitDrag, I wanted complete confidence in my system. After I was convinced it was safe and I was comfortable, I started my target practice from the saddle. You will know your own limits and confidence better than anyone.

Maybe 3 or 4 hunts actually doing it after practicing a dozen times or so before I was really comfortable.

It is such a process coming from a lifetime of using climbers it feels a lot more convoluted at first. It's a lot more "stuff", you got sticks hanging off you, tying a pullup rope to yourself, hanging each stick, linemans, etc. The key is just to slow down and eventually it starts to feel smoother.

I am in the process of getting as comfortable as I can before I decide to try and start shooting my bow from the saddle. Even then I will start shooting down at ground level and get comfortable with bow in saddle.
From about a dozen or so climbs with my complete DIY setup, sticks to saddle, the biggest thing I've noticed is to take it slow. Slow and steady wins the race they say. It helps you stay methodical and quiet...and as the Saddle Vets say, practice practice practice. There is no need to clank climbing sticks together while climbing or to rush yourself increasing chances of a mistake.

Last year was my first year saddle hunting and did all daylight setup. I preset some trees this year with bolts that I'll likely hunt mornings from, either with bolts as the top step or the new cranford scaffold.

Back