• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Coming season goals

Weldabeast

SH Member
Seems there is 1 of these threads every year. We are starting to apply for quotas here in FLA so it's time to start forming goals.

First and foremost I have a goal of hunting more than 6 days this year. The weather killed me last year... Fingers crossed for a little less rain this year and better luck on my quota applications.

I'm super easy to please so an achery deer and I'm happy/content.

Utilize the water access with the canoe again.

I'd like to connect with a hog...they've been giving me the slip the last couple seasons

Still have yet to kill a buck but I hate to make that a goal as I'm probably setting myself up for failure

If I'm lucky enough to connect on my canoe hunt id like to use the diy pocket hoist system I put together.... My back was destroyed the following day after quartering off the ground last year

Hoping for a good ML draw and kill a couple locally. And really hoping for some good Midwest hunts. They’re always better than Florida, so the bar is easy to surpass. I do a bit of water access here already but hope to have time for more. The new house is done and projects are getting to a point that they are small and easy to delay if wanted, so looking forward to having time again to really get after em this season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought a camper on a permanent site at a campground that is 2 hours away from home so

goal #1 this year will be to start learning the 15,000 acres of public land that is nearby.

goal #2 will be to have a gun season deer camp at the camper with family. It has been 10 years since our last real deer camp.

goal #3 kayak one out - don’t care what it’s gender identity is.

I also am a meat hunter and we have a HUGE deer population in my part of Tennessee so kill 7-9 deer per year and every ounce (including bones for the pups) gets used. I also process all these myself and end up cooking most of it myself too. My goal though is to become a better wild game cook. I am fine with deer burger and stew over and over but wife and rest of fam needs variety. This year I am going to up the quality of my meat prep and actually learn some recipes even if they seem complicated. What good is being a meat hunter if no one wants to eat your meat?!

Edit: Want to shoot a big 10 point buck (Couldn't help it)

Ahh true. But tag soup while wishing you wouldn't have passed isn't good either.
I get 2 buck tags and pretty much plan on one of them going unused. I don‘t mind. I like to be in the woods and you can’t be there if you don’t have a tag in your pocket. Look how many guys are crying to be in the woods right now and it’s only May. It’s not about filling tags, it‘s about life experiences. I’d rather be in the woods looking for a 160” deer than sitting at the house thinking about the 130” I shot two weeks ago or the 130” that I passed up last week. Tag soup? I give it all the meat away except one of the back straps. If I want meat I can shoot does all day long.

This year will be my first year to travel out of state to chase whitetails and I am super stoked about that. So I guess my goal is to harvest a mature northern Missouri buck with my bow, but if that doesn’t work out, I’ll be happy with a big doe or two for the freezer. Mostly just looking forward to the experience of learning and hunting a new place.

Private Property Goal: take a buck off my in-laws property with a bow from the saddle this year.
Public Land Goal: take any deer by any means & hunt a minimum of 7 days

Seems there is 1 of these threads every year. We are starting to apply for quotas here in FLA so it's time to start forming goals.

First and foremost I have a goal of hunting more than 6 days this year. The weather killed me last year... Fingers crossed for a little less rain this year and better luck on my quota applications.

I'm super easy to please so an achery deer and I'm happy/content.

Utilize the water access with the canoe again.

I'd like to connect with a hog...they've been giving me the slip the last couple seasons

Still have yet to kill a buck but I hate to make that a goal as I'm probably setting myself up for failure

If I'm lucky enough to connect on my canoe hunt id like to use the diy pocket hoist system I put together.... My back was destroyed the following day after quartering off the ground last year
If you can get into Kerry at any point, there are more hogs then you’d know what to do with.

If you can get into Kerry at any point, there are more hogs then you’d know what to do with.
I apply there every year. I've scouted and hunted a bunch in there... Of all the wmas I've been to Cary for some reason has high fwc presence.... Not that I have anything to worry about but I'm just making an observation... Every hunt I've had in there I've been stopped, asked for my paperwork, and searched. I haven't had that happen but maybe 2 times in all the other places I've hunted and in Casey this 1 bald officer in an unmarked truck stopped me 5 times in 3 days.....

Back