• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Compact 1-sticks

TNSTAAFL

SH Member
Starting a thread to compare 1-stick setups in terms of weight, length, and packability, plus features. This video was my inspiration. I had similar exchanges with Matt at OOAL this winter and ended up with a similar outcome, only with a collapsible Monarch up top. Been meaning to post some pics as I can't remember seeing this on here before. Will get to that soon. It's pretty impressive how it combines functionality with packability.

Sorry. I will. Just too busy right now. I probably shouldn't have posted but the video reminded me that I've been meaning to share this, and I figured posting it would get me off my butt and get it done. I'll snap some pics and post tomorrow night. Pretty sweet rig. Pairs nicely with a JX3 as it tucks into the gap well and works great for feet when fork is extended. Pricey though.

Sorry. I will. Just too busy right now. I probably shouldn't have posted but the video reminded me that I've been meaning to share this, and I figured posting it would get me off my butt and get it done. I'll snap some pics and post tomorrow night. Pretty sweet rig. Pairs nicely with a JX3 as it tucks into the gap well and works great for feet when fork is extended. Pricey though.
I like when my stick tucks nicely into the gap as well.

I don't know if these are the best staged photos as I was rushing before work.

14" Shikar with Monarch swapped out for top step. Cam cleat (Amazon) mod with full bury amsteel (EWO) and 3-step aider (OOAL), and a 18" Nite Eyez gear tie.
2bd39729eaccf8bb12384cf67bd7a326.jpg
587674042050e280c053f31044574fe0.jpg
86f737af769be20516e7ca016d2ec1be.jpg

I don't know if these are the best staged photos as I was rushing before work.

14" Shikar with Monarch swapped out for top step. Cam cleat (Amazon) mod with full bury amsteel (EWO) and 3-step aider (OOAL), and a 18" Nite Eyez gear tie.
2bd39729eaccf8bb12384cf67bd7a326.jpg
587674042050e280c053f31044574fe0.jpg
86f737af769be20516e7ca016d2ec1be.jpg
Nice

Did you have to make any modifications to swap the top step for the monarch?

I have two one stick setups that I really like, my full stock EWO Ultimate One Stick with the UP, 15" length with a two step aider and this spring I modded a muddy pro by adding the new EWO LP upper plastform and the new lower step LS and will use either my GT Climbing Loop OR the Ultimaider ( I haven't decided yet) THe modded muddy is 4.4lbs and the EWO is a bit lighter at like 3.9 Lbs (I have to weigh it) but neither folds flat like your setup. I have 17" folding shikars, how did you mount the cam cleat and what did you do to mount the monarch platform, I really like that idea.

I'm about 185 lbs I would like to build a folding BOB like that for one sticking I think it would be a little beefier than the shikar.

Starting a thread to compare 1-stick setups in terms of weight, length, and packability, plus features. This video was my inspiration. I had similar exchanges with Matt at OOAL this winter and ended up with a similar outcome, only with a collapsible Monarch up top. Been meaning to post some pics as I can't remember seeing this on here before. Will get to that soon. It's pretty impressive how it combines functionality with packability.

Thank goodness he adds Matt's comments aboutthe danger of having the cam cleat centered. I don't know why he would even say there is room to cut it down further. Geez.

Did you have to make any modifications to swap the top step for the monarch?
Nope. The only thing to consider is that to be able to pivot the Monarch you need to use the bolt hole that does not seat the platform down where the post fits into the new cutout, losing some rigidity (why the cutout was invented).

Doesn't bother me though and worth the packability tradeoff. I tried to talk Matt into milling a groove in the post for the bolt rather then a drilled hole. That way you could loosen the knob and slide the Monarch up and down using both the cutout and the folding aspect. Didn't seem interested. Free idea there for the patent trolls on here.

THe modded muddy is 4.4lbs and the EWO is a bit lighter at like 3.9 Lbs (I have to weigh it) but neither folds flat like your setup. I have 17" folding shikars, how did you mount the cam cleat and what did you do to mount the monarch platform, I really like that idea.

I have to weigh this still. From what I know of the component weights I think I'm under the EWO.

The stick came pre drilled with holes for the cam cleat. That may be something you have to specifically ask for when ordering. I'm sure you could drill out your own. The Monarch just mounts like a step using its lower hole. Again, Matt may have drilled an extra hole in mine as he knew what I was trying to do. Not sure if stock Monarchs have multiple drilled holes.

I'm about 185 lbs I would like to build a folding BOB like that for one sticking I think it would be a little beefier than the shikar.
I'm 215 and never thought Shikars would work for me but thru a few practice climbs climbs I have not had any concerns. I'm tethered in while 1-sticking and I also use my LB as I like how it helps keep me controlled with toe leveraged into the tree. When I'm standing on Monarch and leaning on LB while advancing tether I haven't felt any significant wobble.

Back