• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Considering the switch!

Bukhuntr

Well I’ve been researching and doing my homework for a month now. I would consider myself a hardcore run and gun public land hunter. I’m very mobile and hang and hunt every single sit morning or evening. The main reason I want to try a saddle is for weight. I currently run lwcg stand and 4 mini stocks. My question is should I just bite the bullet and get Tethrd phantom or maybe consider somethig more minimalist like the scout solo. I hunt trees very very small 7-10 ft off the ground Any opinions appreciate!

If ur hunting small trees 7-10 ft I would go with a scout since it is cheaper and smaller! And several guys that have been at it awhile are going to the scout! Plus you could add a couple of strap on steps to the scout and still be super lightweight! Just my 2cents take it for what it's worth!! Whatever you do, do it safely, good hunting to you!!!

If ur hunting small trees 7-10 ft I would go with a scout since it is cheaper and smaller! And several guys that have been at it awhile are going to the scout! Plus you could add a couple of strap on steps to the scout and still be super lightweight! Just my 2cents take it for what it's worth!! Whatever you do, do it safely, good hunting to you!!!
I’ve been seeing the same on here. Thought that would be pretty legit! Thanks

I was also looking at getting the scout but eventually decided on a treehopper tree-suit. It has a bigger foot print then the scout which for me is nice as i am usually hunting in winter boots. Also there is no fuss when installing it thanks to the leg posts so you don't have to worry about caming it over. And for under $100 the price is perfect.

I was also looking at getting the scout but eventually decided on a treehopper tree-suit. It has a bigger foot print then the scout which for me is nice as i am usually hunting in winter boots. Also there is no fuss when installing it thanks to the leg posts so you don't have to worry about caming it over. And for under $100 the price is perfect.
I’ve seen the website. I’ll have to check out more on them. Does it do Good on side pressure?

I’ve seen the website. I’ll have to check out more on them. Does it do Good on side pressure?
I ordered mine a few days ago and it should be en route to me now. @Nutterbuster has a video on one of the originals that was much heavier then the ones being produced now and it was rock solid. There is a post titled @Nutterbuster tries a platform or something like that which is dedicated to the tree-suit and was a big help in making my decision.

I ordered mine a few days ago and it should be en route to me now. @Nutterbuster has a video on one of the originals that was much heavier then the ones being produced now and it was rock solid. There is a post titled @Nutterbuster tries a platform or something like that which is dedicated to the tree-suit and was a big help in making my decision.
I'm very glad Mark picked up the concept and ran with it. Coming from a predator to the treesuit design, it was a night-and-day difference how solid on the tree the latter was.

If you're like most people you might have to try a couple till you find what you like. I started with a RoS, progressed to a custom platform and settled on a Ridge Runner. For your style of hunting you might like a RoS, just sling it around the tree, orient steps and cam over strap. Course, after a bit of practice hanging a platform gets pretty quick too.

I have the original Tree-Suit Platform and I agree it is an excellent platform for saddle hunting; however, you mentioned you hunt mostly out of small trees. I would make sure you determine how narrow in diameter the trees you will be using this platform in. I was in a very narrow diameter silver maple last year, I would say 8 inches in diameter and my treesuit style platform did slip about 6 to 8 inches before it stopped. Luckily I was tethered in but it didn't matter as I grabbed the tree immediately before the tether even engaged but it scared the heck out of me. I was about 17 feet up. I never had my treesuit platform do that before but then again, I had never been in that small of a diameter tree either. Just something to be aware of as you mentioned you are usually in small trees. Again, and I stress, the platform is excellent but I would highly recommend that if you're going to use it or any other platform on very small diameter trees, be sure to practice with them at a very low height first.

Another vote for ROS. I use 5 bullman silent approach steps on a DanO cam buckle strap. Don't know the weight but it's got to be less than 1 pound.

I second the Tree Suit. It is unbelievably light and stable, giving you plenty of room for winter boots. No camming over, no noise.

I have the original Tree-Suit Platform and I agree it is an excellent platform for saddle hunting; however, you mentioned you hunt mostly out of small trees. I would make sure you determine how narrow in diameter the trees you will be using this platform in. I was in a very narrow diameter silver maple last year, I would say 8 inches in diameter and my treesuit style platform did slip about 6 to 8 inches before it stopped. Luckily I was tethered in but it didn't matter as I grabbed the tree immediately before the tether even engaged but it scared the heck out of me. I was about 17 feet up. I never had my treesuit platform do that before but then again, I had never been in that small of a diameter tree either. Just something to be aware of as you mentioned you are usually in small trees. Again, and I stress, the platform is excellent but I would highly recommend that if you're going to use it or any other platform on very small diameter trees, be sure to practice with them at a very low height first.
Mark and I talked about what the minimum sized trees the 'suit should accommodate. My opinion was that 4 or 5 inch is the absolute minimum sized tree. I have no idea what size tree the original tree suit can accommodate, but I do know that Mark was thinking about how small a tree it will work on.
I do know that the Treehopper 'suit is not a clone of the original.

What about small diameter trees?basketball size and smaller.
I feel it excels in smaller trees, but honestly never had any issues with tree size. That being said, I never setup in too large of a tree.

Attachments

• BE0F89AD-91EA-446A-99A9-54DE81295EB2.png
    BE0F89AD-91EA-446A-99A9-54DE81295EB2.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 104
As long as the tree diameter is not less than the distance between the support posts, then the size of the tree shouldn't matter.
I would add "as long as the diameter of the tree is not less than the distance between the support posts "and/or the support posts have full purchase for their entire length." I believe the spot I errantly decided to settle my platform on may have angled in enough where the left support post may have not been completely against the tree due to the shape of the tree surface where I placed my platform. I would say this was most likely my operator error more than the platform because as I said, I had never had an issue with this platform before. In fact I believe I may have been a bit cavalier about the set up because of my confidence in it. The tree was narrow and uneven at hunting height. Now I went out this am and put my Original Treesuit platform on a knarly, crooked, smooth barked, relatively narrow branched magnolia that's in my back yard and although it was extremely sturdy, it did move a bit when I was on the sides. But it absolutely did not slide down like it did for me last fall. Not completely sure what happened last year but I thought in the name of safety, I should make people aware. But again, this tree is pretty fussy from a saddle platform perspective and I was hanging in it with no issues today.TreesuitOriginal6.jpg

Attachments

• TreesuitOriginal4.jpg
    TreesuitOriginal4.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 44
  • TreesuitOriginal3.jpg
    TreesuitOriginal3.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 46
  • TreesuitOriginal2.jpg
    TreesuitOriginal2.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 47
  • TreesuitOriginal1.jpg
    TreesuitOriginal1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 47
All right guys. After a month of research here’s what I finally bought: new Phantom saddle, used Predator platform with pack, Kiss tether kit from Wild Edge, and Versa straps for stand and sticks. I’ll be running my LWCG mini sticks from last season also. Can’t wait to get it all in and practice practice practice. Ps. This forum rocks!

Back