• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

'Coon Hunting

Nutterbuster

SH Member
Finally got to go last night for the very first time. As a kid, I read and reread "Where the Red Fern Grows" so there was a great deal of romance built up in my mind regarding the sport. I was worried I'd be disappointed.

Nope.

I never saw a coon, but down here it's so thick right now that I have no doubt it was incompetence on our part and not the Walker. She treed 3 times, and it was awesome listening to her work and then crashing off through the swamp after her.

I'll definitely be going back. The guy I went with grew up doing it with his uncles and loves it but said he's been going less because he can't find folks to go with him. I think he was a little surprised how much I enjoyed pointless running around in the dark.

I also developed major light envy. https://coonhuntersupply.com/products/razor-rz6. Perfect for saddlehunters who want a little extra protection while climbing!

I worked with a guy who use to do a lot of coon hunting. He invited me, but I never made it out with him. Kinda kicked my self for never making it.

I read the book and watched the movie as a kid as well. It sure did romanticize having some hunting dogs and coon hunting. I listened to where the red fern grows on audio book a couple years back on a road trip and it was delightful. I didn’t tear up at the end or anything..

Back