• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cordura Fabric vs Tethrd Mesh Fabric

HunterBob

Considering buying an H2 saddle with their new bridge which has cordura fabric, yet also considering the new Tethrd Phantom with the mesh netting. Two questions I have for anyone with experience in the mesh netting or cordura fabric.

1. Does the cordura fabric keep you hot when hunting early season? I hunt in the south and temps can easily be in the 90s down here in September

2. How durable is the tethrd mesh netting, specifically if you are walking in while wearing it through thick brush?

I am looking for something durable yet also wanting breathability and wondering which might be the best route to go. Thanks in advance to anyone who comments!

I haven’t had my h2 in really hot weather but I could see sweating in it a little. It breathes ok though. I’d think these guys have been through hell and back in some of their mantis saddles which is probably the same mesh material as the phantom.

H2 owner and I’ve used mesh in the past. No issues with sweat or increased heat with either.

Durability no issues. Mesh I used hung on various vegetation. No damage though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My saddle has fleece and cordura with padding in between and I still don't notice myself sweating in the early season so I don't think it's going to make much of a difference either way. I'm sort of in the south......North Carolina.

Thanks guys, I am leaning toward the H2 saddle at the moment, as I am thinking the cordura fabric might be a little more durable than the mesh? Anyone have an opinion on this?

I prefer the mesh myself. Haven’t seen any durability issues with it. The mil spec mesh is some good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I am leaning toward the H2 saddle at the moment, as I am thinking the cordura fabric might be a little more durable than the mesh? Anyone have an opinion on this?
As flinginarrows stated, it is mil spec mesh, it is the same mesh used on military vests, it is extremly durable, if it gets hung up on thorns and brush the only thing you would see is maybe a little fuzz

Both are good saddles. Select a saddle for reasons other than durability. They will both last years Comfort is number one for me. Then weight. Then whatever. Price. Lineman’s loop. Bridge adjustability. Leg straps. Comfort wearing it to the tree.
Comfort is number one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I put the mantis through hell...it's milspec mesh. I've torn pants while wearing the saddle and the saddle doesn't even show wear. You don't have to worry with either.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree with everything above. One thing to consider is the cordura makes a little more noise if it would rub up against some brush on the way in. Another advantage is that the mesh does have a little give to it and may be a little more comfortable because of the give. (I have used saddles out of cordura and was comfortable in them as well though).

I am making my own saddle using the mesh for these two reasons. I'm also thinking of making a late season saddle out of fleece with some insulation stuffed in between the fleece.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I agree with everything above. One thing to consider is the cordura makes a little more noise if it would rub up against some brush on the way in. Another advantage is that the mesh does have a little give to it and may be a little more comfortable because of the give. (I have used saddles out of cordura and was comfortable in them as well though).

I am making my own saddle using the mesh for these two reasons. I'm also thinking of making a late season saddle out of fleece with some insulation stuffed in between the fleece.

I would agree that cordura can be noisy when new.

But for some people the lack of give in the cordura may be more comfortable.
Why? As a mesh gives you get more pressure on the main webbing straps. The cordura prevents that extra pressure.
For some people if that additional pressure is on a bone it will be uncomfortable.

So in some cases the cordura will be more comfortable.
It is the same principal behind an Andersen sling or recon sling. You have 4 webbing straps to carry weight instead of two. It is almost always the webbing straps that create discomfort for me not the mesh or cordura.

Awesome, thanks for all of the thought everyone. Thinking about the noise is definitely helpful. Appreciate all of your feedback.

I would agree that cordura can be noisy when new.

But for some people the lack of give in the cordura may be more comfortable.
Why? As a mesh gives you get more pressure on the main webbing straps. The cordura prevents that extra pressure.
For some people if that additional pressure is on a bone it will be uncomfortable.

So in some cases the cordura will be more comfortable.
It is the same principal behind an Andersen sling or recon sling. You have 4 webbing straps to carry weight instead of two. It is almost always the webbing straps that create discomfort for me not the mesh or cordura.

Yeah the wraptor I made is really comfy. Good explanation of everything. I may make an identical saddle to test difference between the cordura and mesh.

Back