• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Couple more down in the suburbs with the Kestrel (video)

putt4doe

Vendor Rep
Hey guys -

Thought you might enjoy this video of another urban harvest with the kestrel...

So far I'm loving this thing. As most of y'all know, I've been doing the dangle since 2008, but after about 45-50 hunts in the Kestrel (and over 20 harvests), I'm sold. By far the best saddle system I've ever used.

Here's the video:

Enjoy!

Nice video and wow 45-50 hunts in the kestrel already.

I'm fortunate enough that I get to hunt every day... sometimes twice a day. I hunt in the suburbs of Northern Virginia to help thin the deer herd out, but yes, I've been banging out hunts in the Kestrel. I also got one of the first ones, so I've had a little bit of an advantage!

If you really want to cringe, follow me on Instagram. I often post videos to my "story" of where I'm hunting that morning. Sometimes it's crammed between two houses, but there are a TON of deer around. My name on Instagram is "Bowhuntingolfer"

Nice. Are you using the kestrel pretty much as it came, or have you changed anything on it? What are you using for a platform?

Also noticed you liked a long bridge. What's the extra prussik for.

I'm fortunate enough that I get to hunt every day... sometimes twice a day. I hunt in the suburbs of Northern Virginia to help thin the deer herd out, but yes, I've been banging out hunts in the Kestrel. I also got one of the first ones, so I've had a little bit of an advantage!

If you really want to cringe, follow me on Instagram. I often post videos to my "story" of where I'm hunting that morning. Sometimes it's crammed between two houses, but there are a TON of deer around. My name on Instagram is "Bowhuntingolfer"

Do you have a YouTube channel as well? I laugh at your Instagram stories, hunting while birthday parties are going on lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. Are you using the kestrel pretty much as it came, or have you changed anything on it? What are you using for a platform?

Using it exactly how she came without any adjustments... which is rare for me! I like to tinker a bunch, and have yet to find anything on the Kestrel that I felt needed to change.

For the platform, I still use ameristeps on a strap. I have a platform, and use it sometimes (maybe 30%?), but I really like to be able to walk all the way around the tree. I've been hunting from a saddle for so long that I feel awkward when I use the platform, because I feel like I'm not able to get all the way to the 12:00 position and shoot back behind me. I do however like how comfortable the platform is, but don't want to take a platform AND steps in. I'm a sitter so I'm not uncomfortable on the steps. I might take the platform for longer hunts - we'll see.

Also noticed you liked a long bridge. What's the extra prussik for.

I love the long bridge. More mobility around the tree, and less hip pinch!

I use the extra prussik when I'm getting set up or tearing down, to hang my pack from and access my screw-in hangers and get my camera arm setup

Do you have a YouTube channel as well? I laugh at your Instagram stories, hunting while birthday parties are going on lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to have a vimeo channel, but am converting everything over to youtube. The channel is under The Urban Sportsman

That birthday party hunt was hilarious. I had over 40 parents dropping off their kids with my dumbass in a tree less than 20 yards from the driveway... I could have shot a couple that night too! Unfortunately, I was TERRIFIED the deer was going to run off and die in front of some kid.... Only in the suburbs!!

Now I have a reason to install Instagram lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've been hunting from a saddle for so long that I feel awkward when I use the platform, because I feel like I'm not able to get all the way to the 12:00 position and shoot back behind me. I do however like how comfortable the platform is, but don't want to take a platform AND steps in. I'm a sitter so I'm not uncomfortable on the steps.
A man after my own heart. #sittersforlife #stepplatforms

I’m down in Stafford, whereabouts are you?

Hey guys -

Thought you might enjoy this video of another urban harvest with the kestrel...

So far I'm loving this thing. As most of y'all know, I've been doing the dangle since 2008, but after about 45-50 hunts in the Kestrel (and over 20 harvests), I'm sold. By far the best saddle system I've ever used.

Here's the video:

Enjoy!
20 deer killed since the kestral was released? How and where can you get that many tags. Where is the population large enough to warrant sustainably issuing 20 tags?

Back