• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Couple more Scent Control tips

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
OK, for those of you that are as extreme about scent control as I am getting to be, I have another couple tips. As most of you know, the head gives off a lot of heat and thus a lot of scent. To me breath and head scent are two of the primary give aways that cause hunters to get busted. Well I have two suggestions to help.

1. Brush your teeth with baking soda and use hard candy (fruit flavored) while on stand to help minimize/mask breath odor. I still try to breathe only through my nose but I had a friend suggest this and it really seems to work well.

2. Use a silicon rubber swim cap to cover up head/hair. What I do is use the rubber cap right over my hair, and then I use my scent lok head cover and then my hat of choice.

These two items, along with my other scent control methods have helped me greatly. I have only had one deer scent me while downwind this year despite only hunting at a height of 18 foot on average. On that particular morning I had forgotten my scent lok face mask. In the past, I have had deer bust me from this very stand under similar weather conditions. I had deer downwind of me a lot this year and like I said only one lone doe has winded me while I was up in the tree. I did have a couple cross my entry and they became alert but didn't spook. After talking with Mr. Eberhart this morning, I am going to try to use my hip waders when entering this site as there is no way to avoid deer crossing my entry trail as they come from every direction.

The silicon swim cap is a new one, I've never heard of that. Keep the good ideas rolling :D

The swim cap isn't really a new idea. Myles Keller used to use a similar item, He used a ladies shower cap which does basically the same thing, keeps your hair from getting wet when showering. It also holds in all your hair follicle odor molecules from escaping. I also used shower caps prior to the advent of a Scent Lok head cover which is permeable making it much more comfortable.

There really are few original ideas - I had heard that about Myles years back. In fact he one told me that he also used baking soda under his shower cap. I like the silicon rubber one as it is less noisy and it just fits tighter/better. Where i hunt in Texas/Oklahoma I would sweat through a scent lock head cover pretty quickly. So this traps most the sweat and keeps me scent lok head cover cleaner/longer. I also use cheap rubber gloves under my scent lok gloves for the exact same reason.

Back