• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cranford folding steps, weight rating?

Lastmohecken

The paperwork that comes with these, says 250 lbs max. I weight maybe 265 with boots and clothing. Would you be concerned?

While I'm far from 250#, I have used the same 10 Cranford folding steps for well over 20 years and have climbed hundreds and hundreds of trees with them without a single issue. They are very sturdy and well built steps that are hands down better than any other steps I've personally used.

Thanks, I was just looking for opinions of people who have used them, a fair amount. I imagine that they have been tested well above the 250 max weight. I screwed the two different models I bought recently, into a tree, today and tested my weight out on them. They seem very solid.

Been using them for 35 years. Never had a Cranford fail. I've twisted them but they didn't fail. The steps themselves should be pretty solid. My buddy weighs 280 and hunts with them. What I would be concerned with is the tree. They can and will pull out of Softwood trees especially if you let them sit in a tree for over a year. Had it happen a couple of times on cottonwoods. Scary! Harder wood trees like oaks should be good. Use 3 points of contact and avoid putting all of your weight on one step.

Back