• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cranford Rope Steps

jabraham63

Hey Everyone!

I just got a set of Cranford Rope Steps, and I had a few questions. Has anyone ever tried to plastidip them to cut down on noise? Also, has anyone ever replaced the ropes with Amsteel and then used a timber hitch to attach them to the tree? Timber hitch works great with the ropes that are on them but wanting to try and reduce some bulk with Amsteel

I am curious about the Amsteel rope mod as well. If you end up trying it let me know how it turns out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you carrying/packing them? I don’t have issues with mine making noise unless I throw all of them loose in a bag
Not too much issue with noise. I have a fanny pack. Put 5 in, throw throw ropes on top, put another 5 in and throw the ropes on top. All of the ropes help with the noise quite a bit. I’m just trying to find a way to minimize noise at all times

Not too much issue with noise. I have a fanny pack. Put 5 in, throw throw ropes on top, put another 5 in and throw the ropes on top. All of the ropes help with the noise quite a bit. I’m just trying to find a way to minimize noise at all times
Wrapping the ropes around the individual steps would take care of most noise, plastidip should work and so would stealth strips. I carry mine like this so they don’t make any noise so I don’t have firsthand experience with the plastidip7EFD7982-58AA-4872-899C-71B65AE15CCD.jpeg

Last edited:
Search around there is a thread about timber hitch and cranfords

If you plastidip them, isn’t it going to take away your ability to fold them?

I tried timber hitching them using 1/8” amsteel doing the “loop and finger twist method” described by Nutterbuster. It had a tendency to slip. I preface that with I am what they call a fat ass so YMMV. also think if you tie your hitch toward the back of the tree you would get better bite on it. Don’t have them anymore so can’t test that.

Can definitely tell you that making an amsteel daisy chain DOES NOT WORK. If you use one and there is any “slop” (which is nearly impossible to get all of it out) in it they can come off the hook if bumped. Not good...no sir! Sucks cause that would have been ideal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back