• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Cranfords with marlin spike mod

cmcclain88

66044f69e12faced6c6e5d058c47ec83.jpg

After watching [mention]Nutterbuster [/mention] post his videos on these steps I decided I had to have a dozen. Last year I used ameristeps on lashing straps for climbing but packability was less than ideal. I liked the idea of using all of the rope and timber hitching, however I always felt as if I couldn’t get them as tight as I would like. After some research this is what I have come up with. It allows timber hitching if you like as well as using a 3/8 dowel rod for a “marlin spike” if you wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2b8857adab58c9a6f60e8baf71f2dac5.jpg

Roll the strap around the step and the elastic lashes to the buckle to help prevent noise and unraveling of the strap as well.

Interesting. I tried the timber hitch as well, but only for the base of larger trees.

I’ve been experimenting with tying a taut line hitch knot which allows you to slide and adjust the knot around the tree. This has been working well for those few steps that need a little extra length at the base of larger trees. For safety, I still use the stock setup once I’m up three steps or so.

Back