• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Crappie (aka sac a lait) recipes

huntin_addict

Ok guys, how about posting some up. My 2 favs are butter in a cast iron pan, crappie fillets sprinkled with a little cajun seasoning. And of course, milk & egg wash, then a little shore lunch breading and deep fried.

Have some in the freezer, going to can it with a few different recipes I've found online, looking forward to trying that out.

Any other suggestions / recipes?

Thanks

Last edited:
Deep fried in peanut oil. corn meal / flour mix with good salt and pepper seasoning.
As soon as the filets float, they are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite way to eat fish is on the grill. Everything else is not even a close second. They make grilling mats that you put directly on the grate over the fire and they work phenomenal. Mix up any kind of marinade you like I typically like lemon pepper, get you fire hot, and let her rip. And just FYI you cannot use the words crappie and cajun seasoning in the same comment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Lightly coat fillets with flour, dredge in egg mixture containing salt pepper and cayanne to taste, coat with bread crumbs and fry. Simple and delicious.

As a side note, the best breading is what they use on chicken at KFC--I know a guy whose mom owned a KFC and was able to get the breading. The internet has knock-off recipes. I'm surprised how good this is, as I HATE KFC chicken.

Back